An Open Letter To My Best Friend's Future Husband

At the end of the day- I guess we can share my adopted sister.

343
breetsuts

To Whom It May Concern,

It is December 2016 and we are sitting on the couch dreaming about our wedding and talking about just how perfect you will be. The truth is that we probably have not met you yet and if we have, we have no idea it is you. However, here we are talking about you, your future children, and for me our future friendship. As I will probably tell you in person over and over there are plenty of things you need to know about “Bestfrannn” and I expect you to do. The reality is that this long list of demands mean absolutely nothing as long as you promise me that you will treat her the right way, make her happier than she has ever dreamed she will be, and love her unconditionally.

My best friend is someone pretty special and the more you know about her the more you realize that very few people will love you as hard as she does. Her love for people exceeds superficiality and is deeply rooted in her soul, believe me she might not show it every day but you will know that she loves you and when she tells you out of the blue you will know she means it. It is with the tough conversations and the eye rolls or the way she says your name when she's mad. It is when she goes to Walgreens and ships you the stuffed animal she found just because. It is in the way that you will be happy just sitting on the phone, you on your computer and her on hers, in silence. I know that your relationship will be one that I admire because she has been saving her heart for you and knowing her she will pick you because you are the same way. The problem with loving that hard is that falling out of love is something difficult to do, therefore, if you lead her to this point in a relationship where the L word is being thrown around do not break her heart because not only will I make sure your heart is 100 times more broken but also several bones in your body (and yes that’s a threat and a promise).

You are not only marrying her but you are marrying all of us. By all of us mean Mom, Dad, Me, the Sisters, Tios, Me, her friends, cousins, and most importantly Me. I hope you know that our girl’s night will not stop! You will be kicked out of your own home so we can watch Grey’s and sip wine while discussing the latest Chisme! You will be putting up with me for the rest of your life! We will be friends too and I will know more about you the very first time I meet you than you will think possible, so start deleting those Facebook albums you do not want me to find right now. The occasional dinner dates will not only involve you and her but also me and if applicable my husband or significant other. The vacations to exotic lands (except your honeymoon and a few trips where I babysit) I expect an invitation because she was my travel buddy first. Speaking of babysitting I expect to have godkids to pick up for ice-cream. However, most importantly I expect to know when you are going to propose to her and how. I promise not to ruin the surprise (she will kill me). I promise not to plan it for you but I will prevent you from feeling humiliated if you do it wrong and she says no. There are several people that you will have to live with but I know there are at least two other people besides your future wife you will be marrying on your wedding day. At the end of the day- I guess we can share my adopted sister.

I might hate you at first but I will love you forever just because my best friend does. She has a smile that I hope I see often when she is around you. She has dreams too big she is often afraid to admit so you should always support her. She will eventually cry so be ready to wipe away the tears and give big hugs. Tell her she is beautiful every day, because she might have days that she forgets it. Treat her with respect and how you would want a man to treat your sister. Tell her that she's the Meredith to your McDreamy. Tell her that you will do a music video of "Closer" at your wedding day (that one might be more for me). I am also warning you that she sleeps with six pillows but will complain the bed is too small, if you wake her she will throw something at you or complain about it all day, she also likes to sleep on the left side of the bed. She makes a mean Spaghetti Bolognese and an amazing chocolate cake. You will never see her drunk but believe me the girl knows how to have fun.

The amount of things I could tell you about her exceed this so when we officially meet I will give you the full list. I will share with you the embarrassing pictures once and only once the ring is on her finger. I will help you discover how great she is.

Now, this letter is not to bombard you with threats or tell you how lucky you are, you should already know that. But, you have to understand that your future wife and I have been through so much already- families, high school, college, break-ups, breakdowns, vacations, and many many many Pinterest boards. She has been more than a friend, more than a sister, like a super hybrid or the female version of a bromance, she was my “wife” first. I have set up some high expectations for you but as I said if you are not the “hottest” man in the world or the richest all I care about is how you treat her the right way, make her happier than she has ever dreamed she will be and love her unconditionally.

Love You As Long As You Love Her,

Your Best Friend Forever-In Law