A Letter To The Friend Who's Graduating Before Me

While you're out there conquering the world, I'll be here at school and that's okay.
274

To my friend graduating before me,

First of all, I believe a congratulation is in order. You're about to enter the real world, and you're destined to achieve greatness. I know it's cliché, but I truly can't believe how fast our last year together has gone by. When we first met, I honestly didn't think that you would have this much of an impact on me or my collegiate career thus far. But, here we are at the end of your last year here, and I'm still not sure how I'm going to get through next year without you by my side.

You may not realize it, but I look up to you in many ways. You're always able to turn a bad situation into a good one, and you're always able to see the light in things. Your kindness is contagious and your willingness to help people in their time of need does not go unnoticed. You know how to make anyone laugh and feel comfortable, even if they've just met you, and you don't find that in everyone nowadays.

You've taught me to find my purpose in the world and to chase my passions, no matter how big or small they might seem at the moment. Because of you, I've learned to be a kinder person and to never place a judgment on someone until you know their entire story. I'm no longer afraid to apologize for who I am because you've made sure to tell me that I am worthy of life and that I am enough. You've taught me what it means to be a genuine friend, and I couldn't thank you enough for that.

These past few weeks, in particular, have been an emotional whirlwind. I go from being sad about you leaving, to being so proud of you and all that you've done throughout your collegiate career. I know you don't have it all figured out yet (who actually does?), but I know that you'll make it out there in the real world. It'd be impossible for you not to.

I know that there will be plenty of texts, FaceTime's, and calls to help fill the void of your absence, but it won't be the same without you here. I'll miss being able to just walk into your room and sit on the ground when I'm bored and want some company. When I want to go and roam around Target for an hour, I won't be able to text you and force you to come with me. Going out won't be the same because our friend group will be missing your vibrant energy. It's going to take some getting used to for sure, but know that my door is always open just in case you want to take a quick visit to your old stomping grounds for old time's sake.

The upcoming year without you looks scary, and it makes me sad to think that I won't be able to experience my senior year with you. However, I know that you're only a call away and I'll be sure to update you every time something happens. I know that your case of FOMO can get pretty severe, but I promise to let you in on all of the things that happen to me and our friends as the year goes on.

While you're out there conquering the world, I'll be here at school and that's okay. After all, they say distance makes the heart grow fonder, right? I'm excited for you and your new adventures, and I know that deep down you are too. Thank you for the past few years, and here's to the future.

With love,

Your younger friend