To The College Student Dreading Finals, I Believe In You

I believe in you. I believe you will do your best. I believe that you can get through this week. I know, you are worth more than any A in any class.
309

Dear College Student,

It is the most dreaded time of the year... finals week. There are no words to explain the misery, overwhelming stress, and lack of sleep that is brought on from this week. Unfortunately, it is college and we all have to go through them in some degree.

It's hard to know where to begin. You are probably going to get overwhelmed. It's OK, you're not alone, in fact, you are in the same boat as every other college student right now.

Although you are stressed, although it may seem like the world is ending, you are going to be OK. How do I know this? Simple. Grades do not define your worth. Need me to say it louder? GRADES. DO. NOT. DEFINE. YOUR. WORTH. Do they affect your GPA? Yes. Will it suck if worst case scenario you fail a class? Yes, absolutely. Does that make you any less of a person or even student? Heck no!

Some people aren't good writers and struggle classes that require final papers. Some people are horrible test-takers, especially when it comes to timed tests and can spend days upon days studying for finals, hoping to just get a C on the final. If that's you, I'm with ya! Some people have project finals, where it's so much preparation and work that have to rush and not put your best work forth. We've all been there, we all struggle in some way. No one is perfect, even if it seems like it.

The worst thing you can do to yourself, on top of all the stress you are going through is making this test a life or death situation. The best thing you can do is to study hard, put your best foot forward, and not dwell on the outcome. I know it is easier said than done, but if you dwell it is only going to make your next semester start out on a negative note.

Remember, you are not perfect. You will make mistakes. You will get those easy questions wrong on accident that you could've answered in your sleep. Sometimes you might forget a period, or use the wrong tense. Maybe, it wasn't the best project you've turned in but you just really wanted an extra hour of sleep instead.

Guess what? That's OK.

DO to the best of your capability, but DON'T stress yourself out where you are putting your health and self-image in jeopardy. One grade is not worth it.

You, my friend, are a complex person full of personality, thoughts, feelings, and intellect. Never, let any grade take that away from you. Do not give a class that power over you.

Wishing you the best in this week, and remember to take care of yourself, your too precious not to!

Sincerely,

Your fellow college student