An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Mom

An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Mom

Thank you, for everything and more.

731
An Open Letter To My Boyfriend's Mom
Patreon

I was a dumb teenager, and we had only been dating a month. I was not ready for a relationship – or so I thought. The truth was I was just scared to get into something where I had to be vulnerable. And so, I broke up with him. That summer was one of the worst I’ve ever had.

But, due to the grace of God and a nosy friend, Isaak and I managed to get back together and flourish into a relationship that will soon be a marriage (in the next year and a half). I have been ridiculously blessed to be a part of his life, and especially, his family.

His mom is one the best supports I could have asked for. But we weren’t always so close. When I had broken up with Isaak that summer, his mom turned into Protective Momma Bear. I was now the girl who had broken her son's heart. And when we got back together, there was definitely a level of distrust that I had to break through.

I’m not going to lie, it took a while for both of us to come together and be truly family. We’ve had our ups and downs, and we’ve had some interesting conversations. She and I have had to talk about tough situations, and even endure some together. But I would not trade our journey for the world. This woman, this mom, made the man who I am lucky I'll get to call husband. She taught him how to be a gentleman, how to love and care for me.

She also taught me more than a couple of things. Like how to talk to him when he’s upset and how to let him care for me – how I should care for him, and what his favorite kind of pie is (pumpkin, just so you know).

She has been the biggest supporter of Isaak and I, through a lot of obstacles. She has continually opened up not only her home, but her family to me. She has been a rock for me through this time while he is away in the military, and I’m not sure I would be able to go through this as well as I have without her (not to mention the adorable Halloween cards she sends).

I miss sitting with you at your kitchen table and talking for hours without Isaak there. I miss talking on the phone with you about some spooky show or some funny coincidence. But soon enough we'll get to do that again.

So thank you, Tanya. Thank you for letting me be a part of your son’s life, and a part of your family. Thank you for being an anchor, thank you for always supporting Isaak and I, no matter what’s happened. Thank you for those days spent at your table, on your couch, and outside on the patio talking for however long about God knows what. Thank you for loving me as part of your family, and thank you for all of the advice and long, wonderful conversations I’ve been lucky enough to have with you.