Dear Art

Dear Art

A thank you letter

8
Dear Art
Alanna Hurley

You are how I live, you're how I communicate, you help me escape but also help me face reality. You're subjective, so nobody can judge how I express myself through you. You're not a math problem, there's no right way and there's no right answer as to why I'm making anything, you're free.

I feel blessed, going to a school where I'm surrounded by already accepting and supportive people, it's easy not to feel intimidated about thinking creatively. Everyone has their own voice and their own way of using it. It's easier to let myself flow with you in such an encouraging environment.

You let me relieve stress, maybe not everyone agrees but whenever I feel overwhelmed with school or just want an outlet, you are my shoulder to cry on, my therapist, and you never fail to comfort me.

The best thing about you is I can be with you anywhere, I don't have to have a paintbrush or a camera, I can use fallen leaves, scattered rocks, dirt, or even the sky. You're nature, emotions, people, race, friends, color, clothing, religion, stars, the whole universe is a piece of you, and that's such a reassuring thing to think about.

I wrote this letter to thank you for never changing and sticking around to watch me grow up, to help me understand my mistakes and help me prepare for heartbreak and pain, things I haven't quite experienced just yet. I wanted to tell you that I'm grateful to you for letting me cry when I'm not happy and making me smile when I'm sad. You are my best friend, and I hope you don't ever leave my side.

Thank you for letting me be who I am without judging me, with all my gratitude, Alanna.