A Letter To The Class Of 2017

A Letter To The Class Of 2017

For the seniors who are about to enter high school for the last time.

9
A Letter To The Class Of 2017
Adair High School

Dear Class of 2017,

Congratulations on making it this far! It's a pretty great feeling, isn't it? You've endured 3 years of high school as underclassmen, and now you're all finally the big dogs of high school. As a high school graduate, I can tell you that senior year will fly by, so enjoy it while you can.

You won't realize how short the time is until it's over. At the beginning of the year, you're ordering your cap and gown, and the next thing you know you're wearing the gown and tossing the cap in the air with the rest of your classmates. Your first sports game, extracurricular competition, test, and day of school suddenly becomes your last. Though it may seem sad, I advise you forget the morbidity of your final endeavors in high school, and focus on making them the best memories you'll cherish.

Senior year is a huge deal. If you're involved in any sort of extracurricular activity, (football, FFA, band, winter guard, choir, etc.) then it'll be the last time you participate in that activity with your teammates or members. Although it's a sad time, believe me, I've been there, don't make it so morbid and have an awful time. Make it the best game, show run, test score, or competition of your time in high school. Encourage and set an example for your fellow teammates as they continue their time in high school to do the best that they can.

In this short span of time, you also have to begin thinking about what you want to do for the rest of your life. Whether it's furthering your education and finding a career through your degree or going to work after you graduate. In obtaining these goals, you must be diligent in completing whatever is necessary; procrastination will get you nowhere. For instance, if you're applying for a scholarship, be mindful of the deadlines and the requirements. Each little bit of money used for college goes a long way if you're consistent in acquiring scholarships.

I urge you to keep up with your schoolwork. The first semester usually isn't a big deal, and you'll breeze right by it. Whenever second semester comes around, make sure you're really keeping track of your grades for your final transcripts. Good grades means a better chance to get into college or find a good job!

When the third semester rolls around, you might be close to being worn out and ready for the end to come, and might decide it's okay to slack off. First of all, never stoop to slacking off because your grades still matter, and you may be more than halfway there, but that doesn't mean it's time to stop trying. When the fourth and final semester comes around, everything will begin to come to a close. You're more than likely ready to graduate and get out of school, right? Some of your classmates will be completely ready, but there's a small part of you that doesn't want to leave it all behind.

Whenever I was in high school, I was involved in numerous activities. During the week, I'd usually be hanging around after school working on a project, practicing or rehearsing. I didn't want to leave behind everything I had and hadn't yet accomplished or the other students that I befriended in those activities. In the end, I knew that I'd have great memories to cherish as well as the ability to inspire the underclassmen to get involved and enjoy what they do just as I did.

Finally, be sure you thank each of your teachers. They're the ones who have bent over backwards to teach you a specific subject and help you obtain the ability graduate. Without them, you would know nothing, quite literally. Not only do teachers have the objective of teaching you a certain subject, but they can also assist in helping you becoming a better person if you're willing to learn from them. Don't forget: they have more experience. They know what they're doing. Be grateful for your teachers, and let them know that you appreciate them.

In a few short weeks, you'll enter through the doors of your school as a senior. Have fun while it lasts, make memories, take plenty of pictures, show your appreciation, reach your goals, and do what you desire. Don't focus on the last times. Focus on the good times and the memories that you'll make. After all, you only graduate high school once in your life!

Sincerely,

A graduate of 2016.