A Letter To Students Entering College From A College Senior

Live in the moment.

6
YourUniversityTV

Dear Incoming Freshmen,

College is, without a doubt, one of the best experiences you will ever have in your life. I have had so many amazing experiences and opportunities that I will never forget. I am approaching senior year, and yes, I can’t believe it’s been three years since I was where you were. It literally feels like freshman orientation was yesterday. I want to share with you some advice, because even if you feel like you’re prepared, you can’t have any expectations going into school.

Take your academics seriously. You may be thinking one of two things: either that of course you’re going to take classes seriously, you did it in high school. Or you’re thinking that college is about partying and you don’t actually have to go to class. College is expensive, and you should do your absolute best to make it worth your money. The better you do in school, the better chance you’ll have at getting into a good grad school, or you’ll be considered more for jobs. No matter who you are, the idea of skipping class is very tempting, even if it’s to study for another class (been there, done that). It’s OK to skip every once in a while, but don’t get into the habit.

Get involved. I have met so many friends, including my boyfriend, from being involved in clubs and activities. You’ll meet more people, and get to experience things that you’ll enjoy. It will get you out of your room and around campus doing things.

You will get homesick. It happens to everyone, including me. You may be ready to get out of your hometown as quickly as possible, or you may be going to school closer to home. The more you go home, the more homesick you will get once you return to school. That’s a weird statement, I know. But I have seen people drive two hours to go home every weekend just to end up transferring closer to home. It’s hard to resist the temptation to just pack up and go home, but stick it out as long as possible. If it’s the right school for you, and you surround yourself with the right people, the homesickness won’t be as bad. It will fade, and then maybe you won’t even want to leave school.

The most important thing you can do for yourself though is to enjoy your four years at school. Hang out with friends, go to events, and do whatever makes you happy. College is going to be an unforgettable experience. I only have one year left, and I can say that I have made the best of my time at my school. I’ve learned a lot, and I know I’m not the only one. Like I said before, college is one of the best expriences you will ever have in your life. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, and you will make memories that will last the rest of your life. You’ll make friends that you’ll have the rest of your life, maybe go through heart breaks and find love, and learn from amazing professors. Live in the moment, because it goes by quickly