A Letter To The Raider Brigade

A Letter To The Raider Brigade

"Get some Raider Pride in your heart, dadgummit!"

293
A Letter To The Raider Brigade
Nicholas Pileggi

Dear Raider Brigade,

This program is the best at our school, and I’m not just being biased. You are over 250 completely diverse kids that make up this one family. You draw in half of the crowd at the football games (though no portion of ticket sales go to you) and your following at away games is unprecedented, not to mention the various events we host and are invited to around the community that bring in other bands and have made us highly respected in the community. We have an awesome mascot (Kiley) on a live horse that makes our halftime truly unique, and a talented and creative auxiliary. You are a group full of integrity, drive, and tenacity. You are too often under-appreciated by the administration and your peers, and though I don’t have the voice they do, I still want you to know that I appreciate you. I respect you. I am proud of you. I love you.

In case you couldn’t see it in the pictures and statuses I’ve posted about you, the times I’ve sprinted up that awful hill to make copies for you, when I’ve offered you hugs and listening ears, in case you couldn’t see it on my face on Friday nights, Raider Brigade, it’s not just marching band I love; it’s you. It’s the hard work you put in day after day. It’s your willingness to embrace each other, and be open and unrestrained. It’s the way you trust to confide in me heartaches and personal troubles. It’s the way you are genuinely happy for each other’s accomplishments and celebrate each other’s joys. It’s each individual member. It’s the personalities you’ve given your individual sections.

Leadership: I wasn’t kidding when I said this year’s group had to be the best ever. You guys were awesome and set the bar so high. Thank you not only for your hard work, but for how well you worked together. And thank you, Kala, for being a better teammate than I could have ever imagined.

Flutes and Piccolos: You take the brunt of Dukes’ jokes and dodge his flying arms on a daily basis. I could always count on being able to exchange looks with at least one of you when something weird was going on. As a whole, you guys are the smartest section in the band, and you definitely sound the prettiest. You’re a close section, and you guys are honestly the best at knowing when it’s time to be serious and get things done.

Clarinets: Though no one may ever suspect it, you always have the band’s back. Your squeaks may be horrendous, but your dedication is undeniable, and you have “knee-slapping” senses of humor. Some of you dance nonstop in the stands, and some of you silently judge the ones who are dancing, but when you come together on the field you show a sense of unity and great uniformity. It’s clear to me that you have found your closest friends right there in your section.

Saxophones: Wow. Because of you, I have such an intense hatred of Careless Whisper that even your hilarious dancing in the stands can’t suppress it. I have to (unwillingly) admit that you guys are extremely talented when it comes to both playing and marching. As a section, you’re incredibly friendly and welcoming. You’ve mastered the art of having fun and working hard at the same time. Anytime I came over and watched your section during band camp, there was nothing to fix or correct. That speaks volumes about your section leaders and you as individuals.

French Horns and Baritones: You were so incredibly strong this year. You out-blew the trumpets sometimes! I’ve never seen a section work so hard to push through their problems and difficulties. Though you guys aren’t as vocally loud as some of the sections (and thank goodness for that), I’ve watched you guys make inside jokes and have fun with each other. Each of you is so individualistic with a unique personality, and though your sections may be smaller, you managed to make yourselves a huge and essential part of the band. And a special shoutout to JJ for holding the door for the entire band every single day.

Trumpets: You’re my first love, because I am one of you just as much as I am drum major. You’re undoubtedly the best section in the band (It’s okay for me show favoritism now). I know that statement is no good for your stereotypically large egos, but you probably already suspected it. Despite what your section leaders (and Smax) might have told you, you’re not “BAD” (actually, quite often you are, but it needed to be said). Your unique senses of humor never fail to make me smile, and if I could only have one section to call my family, I’m so glad it’s you. Whether it was your wild dancing on the field, the weird ways you played your horn, your crazy marching when your section leaders were supposed to be teaching you fundamentals, your unexpectedly beautiful harmonizing, or your nap piles on the ground at parades, you are the ones that make my heart the most happy. Tori, Sam, Noah, Greg, Cole, Brandi, Grace, James, Hunter Horne, Makiwi, Kayte, Emma, Callie, Ashlyn, Gina, Andrew, Chloe, Mackenzie, Makayla, Austin, Max, Anna, Markkeyishia, Colt, Hunter, Kendal, Harber, Cammy, Harleyh, Jeremy, Ryan, Erin, Evan, Brittany R., Alex, Leah, and Brittany, thank you for being you.

Trombones: You’re such a hodge-podge of people, I don’t even know what to think of you guys sometimes. And I can’t even begin to comprehend how you actually know where your notes are on your horn. This year, you guys were so strong, and you bonded instantly on your first day together, which is something that usually takes time (I suspect Kirk had something to do with that also). I was blown away by how sharp your marching was within the first few days of band camp, and realized that you would be the section I could depend on this year. Also, you won the award for largest spit puddles, which is no small feat when your competition is 40 trumpets. Your dysfunctional spit valves are the reason I can proudly say that I am no longer even slightly grossed out by spit.

Tubas: What a backbone we had this year! (Which is understandable considering that Grayson blows his brains out with every note.) You put the other sections to shame with your dancing, and are generally pretty laid back, which is awesome when the rest of the band is going wild. You guys are the leaders and the driving force of our stand tunes (whether we’re supposed to be playing them or not), and the Brigade would certainly not be the band it is without you.

Front Ensemble: Every time I see pit, I associate you with hard work. You go out with drumline during the hottest days of summer and learn how to march even though you don’t have to. You have to patiently push your equipment up and down that hill nearly every day. You often are responsible for teaching yourselves the music as you have no instructor present, and do your best to sight read when you’re called on the spot. This year, it was almost always you guys that kept the steady tempo for the rest of the band and the ones that drove the percussion feature. Don’t ever feel underappreciated, because you’re definitely not.

Drumline: If I had to choose one section to represent the discipline and unity of band, of course it would be you. When you’re on the field, you are completely focused on the task at hand and don’t allow yourselves to become distracted when the other sections do. You’re comfortable and at ease with each other. And you’re the only section that goes and gets food together before every game, which is something I’ve admired since I was a freshman.

Though I could write many more articles about band in general and the positive influence it has had on the lives of me and my friends, the most important thing to me is you guys, all 250 of you. Thank you for the unforgettable experiences and for four years of family, laughter and love. RP.

Your biggest fan,

Wynne