A Letter To Potential New Members

A Letter To Potential New Members

We can't wait to meet you!

83
A Letter To Potential New Members
Red and Black

Dear Potential New Member,

It’s almost that time of year again. The time when Greek Row emanates with the door songs of sororities as they welcome potential new members. It’s what those girls have been preparing for all summer. It’s what you’ve been preparing for, picking out the perfect outfits and what you’re going to say. It’s nerve-wracking, scary. Picking the letters you will wear for the rest of your life long after you quit wearing those lettered t-shirts is a hard thing to do.

Some advice, be yourself. Don’t put on a show, and be someone you’re not. That could lead to you being in the sorority you didn’t want. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. I promise the sisters of that sorority know the answers to all of the questions you have. We want to answer your questions and settle any concerns you have.

If you’re afraid to go through recruitment because you were never that kind of girl in high school, no worries. I wasn’t either, and so are many other girls I know. I wasn’t going to go through recruitment until my freshman orientation where I met girls from different sororities, and the other freshmen I became friends with at orientation convinced me to. I’m so glad I joined one now. You may say, well I didn’t have a lot of friends that were girls in high school. Well, I’m here to tell you I had about 4 good friends that were girls in high school so I’m right there with you. Girls can be catty and mean, but your sisters always stand by you. I’m not going to lie; we don’t always get along and don’t always like each other, but we always love each other. That’s just how sisters are. We’re always there for each other, no matter what.

If you’re worried that your grades may fall due to the social events of a sorority, we will work with you. Academics come first, and we all recognize that. Some require a certain amount of study hours during your new member period, and that continues on throughout the rest of your time in chapter. We want you to succeed, because while sorority is for life, it’s the fun part of college. Academics are the serious part; it’s what will get you that job in the field you go into. Your sisters will always be down to study with you instead of going to that party. They’ll help you proofread that paper that’s worth 20 percent of your grade. They’re always there to help you and encourage you.

If you’re going through recruitment and realize that your friends you made from orientation or move-in may be going another sorority that’s different from the one you want, do what makes your heart happy. That happened to me. I knew we were fit for different sororities, and really had a mental debate with myself on whether I should follow my friends or do what I really wanted. I ended up doing what I really wanted; don’t follow into a sorority just because your friends do it when you know in your heart you fit better into another. It’s hard to not follow, and you may think you’ll lose them as friends, but you won’t, I promise. If you really want to stay friends with someone, you can do it.

In the end, recruitment is scary, and it’s a daunting task to go through and pick what will be your home for the next 4 years. But, once you find the one you’re meant for, you’ll know. I knew when I walked in the door and talked to the girls. I could feel how genuine they were, and that they wanted me as their sister. You’ll find your home. Just remember, be yourself, ask as many questions as you want. It’s nerve-wracking, but we’re all just as nervous as you. A sorority is one of the best things you can do; it’ll allow you to get involved in things you never considered before like student government, a volunteer group, maybe even Odyssey, amongst countless other things. Just follow your heart. Good luck!

Sincerely,

A Formerly Scared PNM (Potential New Member)