A Letter To My Past Self, Now That I've Left My Teen Years Behind

My younger years were full of mistakes, unrealistic expectations, and doubt.
67

My teen years are in the past, and I am slowly moving into true adulthood. I still have a lot to learn, but there are some things I wish I could tell my past self. My younger years were full of mistakes, unrealistic expectations, and doubt. I wish I could go back and change some things, but I cant. I just have to reflect, learn, and move on.

Dear Younger Me,

Most importantly, you need to relax. You must have faith that everything will work itself out. Don't be afraid to let go every once in a while. Smile, laugh, have fun. Stop worrying. Everything will come together in time. It won't be exactly as you expect or hope, but you will find happiness. You just have to remain strong through the confusion, uncertainty, and pain. Just enjoy the moment and appreciate what you have.

Don't let moments of uncertainty and doubt make you lose sight of your dreams. The scattering of your thoughts may convince you otherwise, but deep down, you know who you are. Knowing who you are is not the same as having a concrete plan. Knowing who you are is a gut feeling. You'll experience many bouts of self-doubt and bad self-esteem, but you'll learn from it. And besides, it is impossible to know for sure what your future holds.

Leave the angsty, rebellious teen act behind. That kind of attitude will only cause you to lose friendships and prevent you from flourishing. You probably realize already that this is happening, but I know it will take you a while to understand that you need to change. That's not who you are, and deep down, you know it. Just open up and be yourself. Be kinder and less harsh. Breathe. Appreciate the simple things. Tear your walls down, and let your hard exterior soften. It's hard, but it's worth it. If you refuse to let people in, you'll just end up alone. Unfortunately, that's a lesson you'll have to learn the hard way, but when you finally do let someone in, you won't regret it.

I know you're simultaneously afraid and eager to reach adulthood, but there is no need to fear or hurry. It's harder than it looks, but it holds many rewards. For now, just be a kid and live your life.

Sincerely,

You in the Future