A Letter To Myself Before I Study Abroad

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

7

Dear Me,

You are so close to embarking on an adventure you will never forget. You are going to be leaving to study abroad for a whole semester in Rome, Italy in less than 30 days. The day you leave is going to arrive faster than you think, and sometimes faster than you want it to. I know you're scared, but I also know you're excited, and you should be.

This is a huge step in your life because you are going to a country that you have never been to and will be living there for a whole four months, and that is definitely intimidating to say the least. You're going to be leaving your comfort zone and entering one that will make you feel uneasy at first but will soon call it home. I know you are worried about leaving your family and friends behind, and fear having a serious case of FOMO, but you'll be in Rome!

Think about all the amazing architecture you will be seeing, the history you'll be witnessing, and the food you'll be eating. Nothing is going to beat seeing the Colosseum anytime you please or drinking as much wine as you want, even though you're still trying to get used to the taste of wine. Another bonus that you have? You're going with two of your best friends, and not many people who go abroad have that kind of luxury. So while you will be leaving home, a part of it will still be with you while you're there, which is definitely a lot more comforting for you.

Also, think of all the places you'll be visiting. This is your opportunity to travel as much as your heart desires. I know you have been eyeing certain places to visit as they have been on your bucket list for a while, and now you have your chance to see it all. This is the time to take advantage of living in Europe for four months and being so close to the places you have always dreamed of seeing because it's no longer a dream -- it's becoming a reality.

You are so fortunate to even have this opportunity. How many people do you know who are able to go study abroad for four months? Not that many. This is seriously an experience that not everyone has the opportunity or money to do. You do though, and that alone should make you want to go even more.

You have worked so hard to get to this point. You have been saving up so much money for this, including your high school graduation money that you said you would only use for something you really wanted to do, and this was it. You even put your amazing persuasion skills to good use to convince your parents to give you the "OK" to go abroad, and that in essence is a huge accomplishment because you know how hard it is to do that with those two. Also, you have told everyone you were going already, so if you back out now you'll look like a fool.

While you may be terrified now to leave this all behind, think of how much you'll be gaining in just four months. You will make friends, make thousands of memories, and be guaranteed an experience of a lifetime. I'll leave you off with a quote that will give you some assurance in this time of uncertainty: "If we were meant to stay in one place, we'd have roots instead of feet."

Yours Truly,

Me