A Letter To My Loyola Theatre Friends

A Letter To My Loyola Theatre Friends

Here's to you all for allowing me to join you on stage.

29
A Letter To My Loyola Theatre Friends
via Amy Swartz

This goes out to the guys and gals I met months ago and slowly grew to know over the three-month process of turning out an amazing show.

Three months ago, I made a life-changing decision. I didn't know at the time it would be life-changing, but then again, when do we ever know? As I walked to McManus Theatre in mid-September, I didn't know what to expect. I was coming in a day late to callbacks, so everyone may have already had a chance to mingle as far as I knew. As I sat amidst a group of girls running lines for the group auditions, fear crept in. I actually had never performed with men (boys, yes, but back when I was 12). What was it like? Would I even get cast? Would they even like me?

As I sat nervously waiting on the floor of the lobby (also known as the fishbowl), some girls asked my name. It was then that I revealed I was a Notre Dame student. When I progressed into the auditorium with the rest of the potential cast-members, it was revealed to the rest of the group that not only was I a Notre Dame student, but I'd already performed Macbeth at my own school as Lady Macbeth. I noticed some faces alit with intrigue and others with confusion. I pushed down my anxiety and continued through the audition process like everyone else.

After call-backs, I wasn't sure how things went overall. I knew a few faces in the room. I felt confident in my abilities. But I still worried about being cast and making friends. The next day, I was texted the cast list and to my joy, I was cast as Young Siward. Not only would this be my first time performing with men, but performing as a man. My delight was only furthered when I found out I even got a fight scene on stage. I knew this would be a show that challenged me in ways I had never been before. Little did I know how true that was.

Due to my difficult class schedule, I wasn't called to rehearsal much with the full cast, but mostly with the other fighters: two guys cast as Macduff and Macbeth. I also spent a lot of time with the various stage managers, who attended every rehearsal and meeting. As we all gathered on Thursdays and Saturdays, I slowly learned not only how to wield a longsword, but that I was slowly making friends at Loyola. Throughout the process of tech, I found myself in a niche of girls (#Macbooty) and that's when I realized how important the decision to audition for this show really was.

These cast and crew members were with me through one of the hardest semesters I've found myself in at college, especially when I was spending much of it at a new school. We were together through changed majors, heartbreak and breakups and family events. As I look on my phone at group chats and snap streaks, I know that while this may be my first and last time on McManus stage, it won't be the last time I visit Loyola. Whether I come back to assist another show or just to have brunch with my friends, I am so grateful to have been a member of the Evergreen Players, even for a short period of time. I am so grateful to have been welcomed into a show with welcome arms, even if some of you forgot I didn't go to Loyola many, many times.

Thank you. Thanks for goofing around with me backstage. Thanks for always asking how I was doing, even if the answer was "Well, I'm here." Thanks for being there for me when I didn't know I needed it. Thanks for always complimenting my man-brows. Thanks for inviting me to see you, long after the show ends. Thanks for making me laugh right before going on stage. Thanks for simply being my friend. So thanks to all at once and to each one, whom we invite to see us perform at the Copeland for a change.