An Open Letter To Junior Year

An Open Letter To Junior Year

Only one more year to go.

42
An Open Letter To Junior Year
The Odyssey Online

Dear Junior Year,

I can now officially say that junior year is over. Three years of college done, and one more to go. It was definitely an interesting year, to say the least, I learned a lot. You brought new people into my life and took out others. You tested my patience to see what I would do in certain situations, and some I passed and some I failed. Regardless of what went on this year, it was one of the best years in college.

The number of opportunities you presented me with, I would have thought that I would be the student that was chosen to travel with my department, have an unbelievable internship, and pull all of my grades out on top. I’m definitely not the same kid I was in high school, I’ve grown physically, mentally, and emotionally. If high school me saw into the future three years ago, I wouldn’t have believed any of it.

If it wasn’t for you, junior year, I wouldn’t be where I am now. You have tested me in more ways than one, and each time you did, I learned something new. You helped make me realize that you have to make the most out of all situations and not everything is going to go the way you planned. You’ve helped me become more independent and willing to do things out of my comfort zone. Giving a presentation? No problem. Speaking in front of the class? Not my favorite thing, but I’ll do it. Participating in class? Check.

All of these things used to make me nervous and intimidate me. This year, you gave me the confidence to do all of these things by giving me experiences to help me overcome them. Slowly, but surely I’m getting more comfortable with different obstacles presented in front of me.

Without you, junior year, I would still be quiet, forcing my friends to ask questions for me, afraid to speak up. Today, I ask the questions for myself (for the most part), speak up if I don’t agree with something, and proving to be a little more outgoing each day.

You were not the easiest year of my college career, but life isn’t going to be easy, so I’m glad you weren’t. Thank you, junior year, for bringing me opportunities for growth, and understanding that things aren’t always going to be easy.

Sincerely,

A Rising Senior