A letter to the girl the boy didn't choose

So say goodbye to that boy

705

Maybe its been months, or over a year but for some reason it seems like you just can’t let go of him. You patiently wait around for the next time around the circle where you think things may be different, but it is the same thing over and over again. For some reason you have made yourself believe that deep down in there, there is this great guy who could make you really happy.

However, you might have believed a little too much into a boy who wasn’t that boy; at least he isn’t right now. He comes and goes like the seasons. Every time you are ready to let go, move on, and just be friends he somehow captivates you to think that this time may be different. Yet, he shows his true colors a couple of weeks later and makes you realize he just wants to bounce around between girls. He can do what he wants, but you cannot be there for him when he comes back.

For the longest time you probably blamed yourself, we all did. You thought you weren’t interesting enough. You thought you weren’t pretty enough. You thought how a boy like him could be attracted to a girl like you. Nevertheless, that’s not the case. You are interesting enough. You are pretty enough. A boy like him can be attracted to a girl like you. You are amazing; he is the one who isn’t enough. You continue to let him hurt you, but then you defend him to all your friends. You sit back and watch him get with all these other girls, but then you let him in when he realizes you are not like the rest of them. You continue to be there for him no matter what, even if it means listening to him talk about all these other girls and wondering why.

Sometimes it’s easier to let go than other times. Sometimes the friendship between the two of you is what’s so amazing. College or life, whichever you find yourself in, you spend the majority of time with him and all your other friends. You love talking to him about whatever the latest upset in the sport world is, or even what you want the future life to be like. To even your friend group, y’all’s friendship is super close.

Maybe you love the way he lights up when he plays his favorite instrument. Maybe you love the way he smiles when he sings in the car and shows you the newest music on Spotify. Maybe you love the way he can talk to anyone about anything. Maybe you love his fascination with cooking and trying out new things. Maybe you love the way when he sets his mind to it, he is determined. There is so much to love about the boy, you just can’t move on just like that. You love the thought of loving him, and one day you might get the chance.

But that time is not know, and it may never come. No matter how much you want something so bad you can’t make him want it. No matter how many times people are like “oh, y’all will for sure date” or “why haven’t y’all dated yet?”, you can’t stick around for nothing. You don’t deserve to only be in the picture when it's convenient. You don’t deserve him to say sweet things to you, because who knows who else he is saying the same sweet things to. You need to realize those actions he does, not just listen to the words he says.

So say goodbye to that boy. Close the part of the friendship where you were more than friends with him. It’s not going to be easy, it’s gonna be awkward for a few days but if your friendship is really as close as you think it is, then y’all will make the friendship last. Maybe you know how great you two could be together, maybe you will get that chance, maybe you won’t. Until then though, say goodbye to that portion of your friendship for good.

However when he is ready, maybe he will think of you. Make sure he thinks of all the good times. Make sure he thinks of the late night talks at 3 in the morning about life. Make sure he thinks about the grocery store runs, the late night pizza eatings, the endless movie nights. Make sure he thinks about all this because that’s when you realized there might be something more between the two of you. If you still have a sliver hope that he may come around eventually, hold onto that sliver for when he actually does change. Until then, continue to do be there every day, but just as a friend.

-From a girl who said goodbye