A Letter From Your College Daughter On Father's Day

"A father is is someone you look up to no matter how tall you grow." - Anonymous

147
Nina Hebrank

Dad,

I've written and re-written this letter three times now. In my opinion, there's never a perfect way to summarize my love and appreciation for you.

You've always been a person I thought was strong, intelligent, empathetic, understanding, and fun. When I was little, I wanted to be exactly like you. I liked how you pushed me to get better, how you told me to never give up. I liked how you were always there for me and made me feel special even when you had other responsibilities in your life besides helping me grow up. When I was down, you told me there was nowhere to go but up. You taught me more than school ever could.

Now that I'm older, I still want to be exactly like you but for different reasons. College is hard. It's unlike any experience I've had in my life thus far. Sometimes, I get down on myself. Sometimes, I am pessimistic and don't see myself succeeding. You always have the words that I can't find on my own. You always motivate me to work harder and be better. I like how people respect you and never speak ill of you. I like how motivated you are and how strong your work ethic is. I like how you know no strangers and everyone who knows you, loves you. I like how you've been from being just my father, to being my father and friend.

How does it feel knowing there is literally no one like you in my life? How no one else could ever possibly come close to how great you are?

Thank you for everything you've done for me. I wouldn't be the person I am today if it weren't for you. Thank you for seeing me through high school and sending me to college. College has taught me a lot of things, including how much I love and appreciate you.

I hope today is a very special day and you feel as loved as you are by me and the rest of our family. I thank God everyday that I was given such an amazing, kickass dad like you.

Happy Father's Day.