Thoughts From a Catholic Trump Supporter

There is nothing wrong with building the wall.
48

I am a lifelong Catholic and also an avid Donald Trump supporter. Combining these two, I thought I would share my thoughts about Pope Francis' recent comments.

For those who haven't heard, Trump has said that if he is Commander in Chief, he wants to build a wall. The Pope recently spoken out against him, saying that, “A person who thinks only about building walls — wherever they may be — and not building bridges, is not Christian.”

Though I understand the main concept of what the Pope said, about building bridges as opposed to building walls, he should not have made these comments.

The Pope cannot say whether or not someone is a Christian.

I believe that the Pope has authority, and is the highest position within the church.

Yet when the Pope makes claims like he did against Trump, he looks foolish, and influences the reputation of the rest of the Catholic faith. What about the Catholics, like myself, who support Trump?

Saying that someone isn't a Christian is judgmental, and a highly religious figure like the Pope should not be making such judgments.

When the Pope insulted Trump, he insulted the people of his church who support Trump, as well as made himself look judgmental and unholy.

The Pope has more important things to worry about than Donald Trump.

Instead of focusing on the alleged wall that Donald Trump potentially wants to build, there are many other religious issues that Pope Francis could be focusing on. The Pope should be worried about the corruption in Mexico, not Donald Trump's plans if he becomes President. If the Pope really wants to help the people in Mexico - where Trump is planning on building his wall - then he should try to save the people of Mexico and encourage them and help them, not persecute a politician from another country. Besides Mexico, there are many other countries that could use God's word and God's love.

There are wars going on in the world and by the holy lands. There are people who need Jesus. There are people who are not even free to practice Christianity in their home countries. There are people who are persecuted for Christianity. There are people who are maybe in danger of dying for Christianity. Those are the people that Pope Francis should focus on.

They built a wall in the Bible!

For the Pope to say that building a wall is not "Christian-like" is contradicting past events in the Bible. In the book of Nehemiah, the people rebuilt a wall for Jerusalem. These people were spirit-led to build a wall. They were ridiculed for wanting to build the wall, but they stood up and built it anyway. God lead Nehemiah to help build these walls and rebuild Jerusalem.

"When Sanballat heard that we were rebuilding the wall, he became angry and was greatly incensed. He ridiculed the Jews, and in the presence of his associates and the army of Samaria, he said, “What are those feeble Jews doing? Will they restore their wall? Will they offer sacrifices? Will they finish in a day?..."
Nehemiah 4:1-2

I respect Pope Francis. As a Catholic, the Pope is extremely important to me, but his comments about Donald Trump were out of line.

The Pope should be leading people to Christ and showing love to everyone, including Donald Trump.