A Letter From A Pissed Off Floridian To Mr. Trump

Your Twitter Tirades Have Finally Gone too Far

3

Dear Mr. Trump,

My name is Devin Baker, and I am a proud Floridian. I have lived in Florida for almost 13 years now, and I would consider it my home - I grew up here. Florida is home to millions of incredible people from different backgrounds, walks of life, and persuasions. We are not one person but we are one community. We are all Orlando.

On the morning of June 12, 2016 at 2 am, a gunman opened fire on Pulse nightclub killing 49 people and injuring over 50 others before being killed by authorities on the scene. It is the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history. Beyond those who were killed or who were injured, there are hundreds of thousands more personally affected by the loss of or the harm of a loved one. Beyond those who were directly affected physically or emotionally, there are millions in Orlando, in Florida, the United States, and the world who are empathetic to the sufferers - seeing themselves potentially in the victims' shoes - and therefore, also struggling emotionally. After all, this hateful massacre occurred in a place of solidarity and happiness.

Despite the suffering of so many, you had the audacity to tweet this only hours after the loss of 50 Americans:

What kind of person, let alone Presidential nominee, would attempt to capitalize on the deaths of 50 Americans? Sure, you said you don't want congrats but you suggesting that you were getting any recognition in relation to this massacre in the first place is not only disheartening but sickening. It trivializes not only the death of 50 Americans but also the issues at hand - including the rights of LGBTQ+ and gun control.

To then go on to criticize President Obama's immediate response to the mass shooting for his refusal to use the words "radical Islam" demonstrates a lack of feeling and selfishness on your part:

During the time of such a tragedy, there is no time for hate. President Obama's response was Presidential. Instead of further pushing people apart for their differences by using the words "radical Islam" in reference to shooter, Omar Mateen, Obama emphasized the importance of offering any and all support to those grieving. Again, your almost immediate move to capitalize on this tragedy and then criticize Obama is anything but Presidential.

Now, I know you don't support gay rights nor do you appreciate Muslim Americans but that could never justify the usage of American lives to help propel your 'policies.' There is a time and place for your so-called policy, and this is not the time nor the place.

So while I can respect your right to free speech and bigotry, you can keep that in your own home. Keep it out of Orlando. Keep it out of Florida. And you sure as hell better keep it out of the White House.

Sincerely,

A proud and pissed off Floridian