A Letter To My Best Friend Who's Still In High School

As Graduation Approaches...

20
Jordan Garrett

My beautiful, passionate best friend,

As graduation draws near, your high school days are coming to a close. I know everything you're feeling right now because a few short years ago I was in your position; I understand your fear and your relief that you are leaving the small box that has trapped you for so long. But please, please for me, do not wish these last days away.

I'll level with you for a minute and tell you that yes, absolutely 100%, high school sucks. There is no arguing there. So much unnecessary drama and stress dominate your life in those years and I know that you want to get out more than anything else in the world. But I also know this: the real world sucks so much more. I haven't officially entered adulthood, but from my experience with college thus far I know that high school is not the worst thing you will ever go through. The other day I even caught myself telling someone I missed middle school, the most wretched years of adolescence because you really don't understand how simple things were until you grow up.

You are so sheltered under the little umbrella of high school, so protected from so much. Yeah, the "popular girl" might make fun of your band tee and the "hot jock" might not ask you to prom, but seriously... who cares? You only have a small window of time to be whoever you want to be and not have it affect you. I am so proud of you for choosing your own path and making good decisions no matter who tries to influence you. You put yourself before the opinions of your peers and that is such an admirable quality to have.

It's hard for me to face it, but you're growing up, kid. You've already been accepted to a university (unfortunately not the one I go to) and I have so much pride for you but I can't help but feel a little hurt to keep growing so far apart from you. These past few years of going to a different school and living in a different town have definitely affected our relationship and I can't help but think that as you move on and do your own thing we will drift even further apart. Despite it all, I want you to know that I love you more than life and I will always be here for you no matter where life takes each of us.

So, like I was saying, do not wish high school away. No, these are nowhere near the "best years of your life" (and if someone ever says that to you, you have my permission to slap them across the face) but live up the final months of easier tests and actual daily structure and classes that you don't have to sell your left hand to get into. These are the final throes of being a kid and letting your parents pay for your food and drive you places and schedule appointments for you. Your bank account certainly loves you a lot more right now than it will this time next year. Savor the moments of sliding into your prom dress and zipping up your graduation gown because everything is about to change.

I cannot wait to see the things you will soon accomplish. I love you so much.

Sincerely,

Your "Grown-up" College Best Friend

(Smother)