A Letter To My First Friend, From The Girl Who Didn’t Know She Needed You

You literally mean the world to me.

194
Personal photo

Dear First Friend,

I've tried writing this letter to you hundreds of times. However, none of the words come out the way I want them too. None of the words show how awesome you are.

Let's start from the beginning. I was a lonely, awkward 7th grader who really didn't have a lot of friends growing up. I was very much myself off the bat, and that deterred people away from me and caused me to get bullied a lot.

I've always been outgoing, and I saw you with another friend at cross-country practice by yourself. My parents always taught me to make everyone feel included and seeing you away from the team was my chance to include you. We began to talk and eventually that led me to inviting you and your other friend to sit at my lunch table with my "friends" at the time.

I use the term "friends" loosely because I don't think they were ever real friends of mine. As I struggled on a daily basis to even get a seat at that table for myself. Sitting alone is not fun.

That next day, we all sat together and we began talking. The conversation flowed like a river and it was easy and fun. We instantly became friends.

That was over 7 years ago. Not only has it been 7 years of friendship, but it's been an amazing 7 years of friendship. There's this study that says if you've been friends for 7 years, you'll probably be friends for life. From the first-time eating lunch together, I knew that would be the case.

In those 7 years, a lot has happened and changed. Obviously 7 years is a long time, but it feels like we've had decades of friendship compiled into just 7 years. In those 7 years, we've had hiccups and struggles, but we've always been there for each other.

You are the person who I will send a text the length of a novel to you, and you'll still read every word and appreciate it. You are the person that when I need advice, I go to you. You're honest, you're direct, but you have one of the biggest hearts in the world.

You've pointed out my flaws and have taught me how to fix them. You've made me a better person. You taught me how to play the drums and how to have rhythm when it's not something that comes to naturally to me.

You are patient. You deal with me not knowing pop-culture or the lingo that people use today, and you teach me it. You are an instructor on the social aspect of the world for me.

One thing that I don't think you really know this, but you were my first friend. You were the first friend that stuck after a year and didn't move to a different school or city. You were the person who became an older sister to me in a way because of every piece of advice you've given me. You actually invited me to things and made me feel included and important in some type of way.

That's weird for me to say because I still struggle with that today. You don't care nor ever did that I've always been myself and have taken pride in it. People still don't accept that and think I'm weird without getting to know me. It's hard especially when in college away from my roots.

When I have an accomplishment, you are the first person I text. I didn't get many of those in high school and I wish I had so I could have shared them with you in person. Being far away from each other in college aggravates me because it's hard to visit each other.

We may not talk every day, we may not like each other every moment. We may forget to see each other when we're home or to text each other on big days. That's okay, because at the end of the day we know that if we need each other the other person will be there.

You are a great and deeply influential person in my life. When we first met, I didn't know you would have had this impact on me. I am so grateful that you did though. I didn't know I needed you, until I had you as a friend and that's weirdly awesome.

I wish you nothing but the best in life, and I cannot wait to keep on being your friend through the good, the bad, the ugly, and everything in between. I miss you, and I have no idea where I would be today or in the future if you weren't in my life. Keep on having fun in college.

From,

The Best Friend