A Letter To My Best Friend That Lives Across The Country

Sometimes life separates us from the ones closest to us, but that does not take away from a friendship.

395
Google Images

My Dear Best Friend,

Lots of things separate people; arguments, college, misunderstandings, and military orders. In our case, college and military orders is what separated us. We couldn’t get much further from each other, unless of course, I got accepted into Hawaii and chose to go there and your major took you to an international job. Despite the 2,882.6 miles (that’s a 42-hour drive, a 3 day bus ride, and a 6 hour plane ride) that lies between us, we have continued to stay best friends, making our total years of friendship a whopping 6 years! I’m proud of us, because with our busy lives and schedules it’s an achievement that we still find time to talk to each other at least once a week. One of my favorite parts of our friendships is the fact that we are so flexible we still make memories together, even if it’s over Skype or the phone.

Despite the distance, and the absence of me being by your side like I was all through high school, I want you to know how proud I am of you. I follow all your social media religiously. I constantly smile when I see you post achievements on Facebook or see you post something on Snapchat, Twitter, and Instagram that lets me feel like I’m still a part of your life and all your success.

I love getting random texts from you to check in on me, even if it’s one sentence, it still makes my week. I see so many things that remind me of you daily that I sometimes must stop myself from texting you, otherwise I would probably blow up your messages. So many things pop up and it brings back memories of our shenanigans from high school and how we used to tell people we were twins and everyone would believe us, especially during lacrosse season and the other team always would get so confused trying to figure out who “the twins” on the team were. We really were such trouble whenever we were together.

I remember when we started to grow apart because our lives started to become their own. I got so worried but I remember you didn’t, and you were right to not worry. Look where we are now. Planning trips to other countries and planning out trips to see each other. It is so crazy to think that the same little bright eyed, brace faced girls who were wild and immature are now on our own and taking on every obstacle that stands in our way. To look at you from the moment we met, to who you are now, I will never be able to tell you how proud I truly am of the woman you have become. I had always read books and watched movies about girls that had the one best friend in their life that would be there for them no matter what distance was in between, they were always just a phone call away. I never thought that I would have that person in my life but it turns out I do and it’s you and I feel so completely blessed.

I will always cherish the times we were together in high school and how we would always get in trouble during lacrosse practice because you would make me laugh so hard I wouldn’t be able to stop a goal, or I would say something to you that would make you laugh so hard, you couldn’t even throw the ball. Do you remember how we used to rap the theme song from “Fresh Prince of Bel Air,” together and it would amaze everyone? Or how about the time we did the entire One Direction dance in front of a group of our guy friends and all we could do was laugh with them when we were done.You're still the one that started the piggy-back pictures that will forever reign supreme. Remember when you came to my house and I did your hair and makeup before your first big date? The pep talks we gave other have evolved into the most amazing ones that we continue to give each other now. Oh hey, never forget that we can't ever insult each other's fashion sense because we both wore the same exact dress to homecoming. Do you remember prom? You found out why I was so upset the months leading up to graduation and I will never forget how big of a hug you gave me, it almost rivaled the one you gave me on graduation. Graduation day was the last time I saw you. I will never forget the last hug I gave you and how much I was crying because I knew it was our first, “I’ll see you later,” of many we will still have to face.

I remember going into the first week of college, how weird it was to not have you by my side. It’s still weird sometimes. But you know, from experience, if I need you I will get a hold of you. The same thing remains a rule for you. We both know based off a text whether we need a phone call to fix whatever problem has come up or whatever news must be shared. I love that despite the distance, we still know each other better than we even know ourselves.

Without you I wouldn’t be with my boyfriend now. That is truly a lot of your doing. It’s crazy to think that everything started with a crumpled-up piece of paper that you tried to throw at me. Boy, the outcomes of our trouble making, whether it was together or separate, always were positive. How I miss all our fun and being around you.

I love knowing that no matter who or what is in between us, and for us there is a lot, we will always be best friends. I’ve learned so much from you and I hope that you can say the same. We have got many memories to come and many other places to wreak havoc together. Thanks for putting up with all my craziness and dealing with me as I make mistakes and learn from them. I love you lots and look forward to watching you continue to thrive and succeed.

Love always,

Me