A Letter To The Best Friend Who Became My Sister

You're the sister I never had but always wanted.

304
Instagram

Dear Kaylyn,

We’ve been best friends since the second grade and we have never had a single fight. About 11 years as friends and we’ve never disagreed once. To me, that just speaks volumes on our friendship and how much we value each other. You’ve been there for me since day one. I remember how we met and became friends like it was yesterday. You approached me in the cafeteria when we were getting our second grade teacher assignments. You sat down right next to me, looked at me completely serious and said, “Do you wanna be my best friend?” and from that moment on we were inseparable.

You’ve stuck up for me countless times when bullies just wouldn't quit. Through all that middle school drama, we stayed by each other’s sides. Despite the rumors, drama, and the popular girls trying to tear every friendship in sight apart, we were stronger than them. Anyone who tried to dismantle our friendship was kicked to the curb. Looking back on the worst three years of my life, also known as middle school, you were the only one in that school who truly cared about me and my wellbeing. You never hesitated to stick up for me and to check on me. In my lifetime I will never be able to pay you back for everything you’ve done for me all these years.

When we both went off to different high schools, I’m not going to lie I was afraid you’d find better friends and forget all about me, but we even made it through high school. Even though we made more friends, you were always the most important friend to me. We can go months without seeing or talking to each other, but when we finally do, it’s like there was never a separation. We can just pick right up where we left off.

Over the years you’ve become family, you’re my sister. My family is your family and your family is my family. I truly love your parents and siblings like they are immediate family and I know you feel the same towards my parents and brother. Throughout these 11 years I honestly can’t picture going through school and life without you. You helped keep me sane, you always got me back on my feet and was there to dry my tears when I needed it. I’ve always admired your strength and courage and will always look up to you. I never thought I’d actually be able to put words to our friendship because there is just so much I want to say. We’ve had some amazing memories together over the years and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for our friendship. Ever since we were younger we talked about being the maids of honor in each other’s weddings and the godmother’s to each others children, and I can honestly say I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Thank you for being the best friend, sister I always wanted, and side kick, but most importantly, thanks for being you!

I love you!

Love,

Taylor