Let's Talk About Acceptance
Politics

Let's Talk About Acceptance

Whatever happened to treating others as you would wish to be treated?

13
Let's Talk About Acceptance

Acceptance is a ten letter word with 101 different interpretations. I'm not talking about getting accepted to your dream college or accepting the fact that you should have studied a little harder for that quiz you failed. I'm talking about the textbook definition of acceptance:

"The action or process of being received as adequate or suitable, typically to be admitted into a group."

Acceptance is something we need to become a little more familiar with around here. Hate, racism and intolerance are running rampant through our country, and it's our responsibility to put an end to it. It pains me to scroll through Facebook and see the countless articles about Trump's exclusionary policies in the United States. Whatever happened to treating others as you would wish to be treated? Just because someone does not have the same colored skin or religious beliefs, does not mean we cannot co-exist.

Our beautiful country is based on the idea of the melting pot. Immigrants came from all over to start a life with numerous opportunities. America promised to be a safe place where anyone was welcome. We are the land of the free and home of the brave. So what happened? Where did we go wrong?

I understand that not everyone has the same political views, and that's OK! What would democracy be without differences in personal beliefs? The problem today is that we are not willing to compromise. Everything is black and white, right and wrong. People are so quick to point fingers and put blame on others without taking a step back to look at his or her own faults. No one is perfect and no one has all the answers, but that is what we need to ACCEPT.

Although difficult, I have been working on accepting the fact that I am not always right. What I think is best for myself, may not be in everyone's best interest. While I hope that one day, everyone will think the same way, I do not see it in our near future. In the meantime, it is our personal responsibility to be true Christians. God has called us all to love without judgment. It is not our place to condemn the wrongdoings of others. We are not without mistakes and therefore cannot judge others without taking a look at our own mistakes first.

When you find yourself in quite thoughts of hate and intolerance towards others,

stop to think about how you would feel in his or her shoes. I know it can be difficult to be less critical, especially due to the heavy negative media influence. However, it is our job to make a conscious effort and accept everyone. Accept others' strengths, weaknesses, mistakes, accomplishments, and everything in between. When you take the time to recognize everyone's individual intelligence and talents, you will realize how much power we truly have.

Be strong, be kind, and stand united.