When Does The Right To Live Trump The Right To Bear Arms?

As you defend your need for your AR-15, 17 more families are burying their loved ones.

93

It’s hard to put into words how torn up I feel about the school shooting in Florida last week. I’m heart broken, sad, and frankly, pissed off.

Obviously, something needs to change.

Congress needs to come together and start thinking of solutions, not just offering their thoughts and prayers. I understand that an AR-15 is not a legal weapon in the US, but it keeps being used and is easy to access here in this country. This needs to change, now. There are parents who will never see their children again due to senseless acts of gun violence.

I understand the arguments of the 2nd Amendment. I have a very pro-gun family, and many of my friends also believe in their right to bear arms. But, I don’t think that this is a political issue anymore. It’s a matter of public safety and concern.

People are dying. People are DYING.

How is it that we can all sit there and do nothing? A 19-year-old boy was able to take the lives of 17 other children on February 14, 2018, and radio silence from our representatives. Some Democrats call to action, and mostly every one offers up their thoughts and their prayers. It’s not enough anymore. Your right to bear arms should be re-evaluated when we hold the number one spot for gun violence incidents in developed countries.

I’m angry that in the first 2 months of 2018, there have been over 30 mass shootings in the US. Thirty mass shootings. Most of those don’t even make it in the news anymore, they are so common. I’m angry that nothing has been done to try and come to a compromise on what to do about this epidemic.

I’m angry that the CDC isn’t allowed to study gun violence in the United States. I’m furious that 17 more children have died. I don’t think I have all the answers. Hell, I’m not even sure of where to begin, but something needs to be done. Call your senators, your representatives, hold them accountable and demand justice for these families who have had to bury their loved ones.

I tend to think this isn’t a party issue at this point. I think the NRA, though small, holds a lot of power and money and is barricading any legislation that would be a step in resolving this issue. The Republicans and Democrats need to find common ground and start working together, because when someone brings in an AR-15, they aren’t worried about whether you on the right or the left of the aisle.

They have one goal. We, as humans, should have one goal at the moment. Resolving this issue of gun violence in the United States.

I hurt for the families of the victims. I hurt for the families of the victims before them. I am, however, incredibly proud of the students who are standing up and demanding change. They are organizing events, speaking on T.V., and fighting for gun control.

Emma Gonzalez has been the fearless leader in their crusade. We now have to step up and change this so nothing like this can happen again. We have to learn from these kids and not allow this to happen again.

Here is a link that I find to be most unbiased, Gun Violence Archive is non-profit and is not an advocacy group.