Let's Make Veterans Day Everyday

Let's Make Veterans Day Everyday

They deserve it.

23
Let's Make Veterans Day Everyday
www.army.mil

Veteran's day was always a pretty big deal in my family. Growing up in the south you are kind of patriotic by default. It seems to be in my blood. Any National Holiday was a big deal. It didn't matter whether it was Veteran's day, Memorial day, 4th of July, or Labor day my grandma made sure we knew what day it was and why it was such a big deal.

Growing up my grandma would always stop and thank veterans for their service. As a teenager I felt embarrassed that she was interrupting some random person's day. Like "why is she bothering them?!" At the beginning of this year my best friend joined the National Guard. She went away to basic training this summer and anytime I would see someone with a veteran's hat or in uniform, I would think of her. It was like an epiphany one day... I suddenly understood what my grandma had been doing all of those years.

Veterans and active duty service men and women deserve to be respected. They voluntarily sign up to risk their lives so we can have our freedom. They spend countless amounts of time away from their loved ones to serve our country. I truly believe that they have earned our respect.

I completely understand why we have a day dedicated to them but I also think that we should not just thank them once a year. We should remember all of those who have been injured, killed in action, went missing, or served at all.They deserve to be thanked and respected every day. So remember to thank service men and women when you see them. It may seem odd the first time you do it but it shows that you appreciate what they do/did for your country. Let's make everyday Veteran's day and thank them whenever you can because they work so hard so we can live in a country where freedom is a Constitutional right. Start by thanking a veteran this Veteran's day and remember all of the fallen soldiers who gave their lives so you could be free.