Let Yourself Happen To The World, Instead Of Letting The World Happen To You
Lifestyles

Our response to life is a free choice. Your attitude can have a radical impact on the day.

73
Alyssa Bailey

I recently attended a conference in Louisville, KY and the sessions were based around leadership. Something you may not know about me is that I love to listen to inspirational speakers.

Our first session was with Johnathan Fanning. He started by sharing an observation about a bridge construction site. Fanning observed this construction site for two years. He said they drove pillars into the ground for two years for the bridge to eventually set upon. They kept driving them in the ground, over and over, every single day. He continued to repeat this several times.

Then, one day, they stopped. And the top part of the bridge was pieced together to be completed.

He then began to describe how we should continually work on something every day and let it be our motivator. Fanning told us to pick a pillar and do something about it daily.

So, my pillar is this: to spend more time doing what matters most and to spend less time doing what matters least.

Fanning told us that most game changers in life are small things — things that don't take much effort. Telling people they matter and letting them know that you appreciate them can go a long way, yet it is something so simple. Because we aren't appreciated too often.

He told us, "Greatness is one sentence." All you need is a little clarity, focus and simplicity to acquire just the right ingredients to achieve greatness. If you can create clarity and focus in little pockets of life, it begins to overflow.

"People haven't heard you until they quote you."

Wake people up, but wake yourself up first. Then become the one who helps others find their greatness and their clarity. Do things that flood your life with energy and let that overflow into the people around you.

Learn to happen to the world instead of letting the world happen to you. A lot of people think the world happens to them, but no else dictates how you respond to life. You have the freedom to respond. Your attitude can have a radical impact on the day.

Remember this formula: (S)ituation + (R)esponse = (O)utcome.

It's our job to happen to the world and make the outcome a good one. Instead of asking how someone else can change it, ask how you can change to make the situation better.

Here's a powerful thought: Do something every week that you aren't sure you are capable of.

Then, help others do the same.

Pick your pillar and do it well. Do it daily, and let it drive you to make a difference in the world. Jesus called us to be set apart. So, go live this life set apart helping others.

Remember, our game changers in life are often the small things. Be uncomfortable in a good way. Step out of the box and happen to the world.

Love God. Love people. Be a servant.

"You have been set apart as holy to the LORD your God, and he has chosen you from all the nations of the earth to be his own special treasure." — Deuteronomy 14:2: