Let Me Be Me

Let Me Be Me

Personae Poem based upon a famous person.

19
Let Me Be Me

In my Creative Writing class, my last assignment was to write a Personae Poem based upon a famous person. The catch was that I had to write it in the first person. I chose Selena Gomez. This poem covers the stuff from her relationship with Justin, the media's view on her and that relationship, being herself, and what she spoke about in her American Music Awards' speech.

I am not the best at poetry, but I really loved writing this. I did have trouble figuring out who I should write about though. The week before it was due, I was sitting in my University's library, listening to Selena's Revival Album. I can't remember what song I was listening to, but the first stanza just flowed out. Though, it took probably a week to write the complete poem, I am glad I can share it with you. Thank you to Selena Gomez for being such a strong female role model in music and television

Upon writing this, I feel like I tapped into how she feels, even though I don't know her. It reminds me that no matter where we are in life, someone has gone through the same thing as us.

I titled this "Let Me Be Me", because Selena is all about being herself.

I loved a boy,

he became a man

right before my eyes.

The media keeps dragging it on.

Why can’t I just be happy?

I am single

and happy.

Why can’t they see?

This is who I am

Happy and free

Just me and my girls

supporting each other.

I am just Selena.

I can be strong.

I can be broken.

I can be weak.

I can be whole.

But I will always be just me.

Whether I’m tattered and broken

Or complete and mighty,

I will still be Selena.

I will give my full self to the world

I have nothing to hide

One hundred percent honest with

myself and others.

Raw and vulnerable

through my music.

They will finally see

That all I can be is just me.

I want to be more real,

more comfortable in my own skin.

Because being unique is all I want to be.

It is time to live for me

To be free

Not run by the media

So much has changed

but I will always be me

Can’t they just let me be me?

Here is my real story

Shown to the world

no more bottling up

my emotions

I don’t want to be broken

I want my heart to heal

And through the support of others

I know I can.

Battles are fought everyday

And then we realize we are fighting one too.

I want to win my battle

And you can too.

Together we are stronger.

With my support team

by my side

I know I will always be myself. Selena.