perks of getting a part time job

5 Things To Thank Your Part-Time Job For Teaching You

So just remember, when you feel fed up and defeated by your part-time job, think of all the lessons you've learned thus far. That makes it totally worth it!

43

If you have ever worked a part-time job as a cashier or sales associate, you know the struggle of it all. We have all had our fair share of encounters that totally made us want to rip our hair out and scream.

However, have you ever thought about all the benefits these experiences have had on you thus far in life… Yeah, me neither. Until now, that is.

Lately, I've been thinking about all the things I have learned from working my part-time retail job, that will actually help me in the real world.

1. Patience

I have always thought of myself as a pretty patient person. That is until I began working as a cashier. This job has taught me to be more patient than I ever thought I was capable of being. I know have the ability to wait out a long-winded explanation of a return without even wanting to roll my eyes! (LOL) Seriously though, I do not even know how it happened. This job has just made me able to deal with the public in a very calm, cool, and collected manner. This skill is definitely going to help me with my future working with children.

2. Cooperation

Of course, at any job, you will probably find yourself collaborating with other people, and the key to collaboration is cooperation. It would be so frustrating to have a team full of people who are not willing to participate or pitch ideas. Well, I have my part-time job to thank for this skill. Working retail is all about cooperation, with customers, co-workers and bosses. The less you cooperate, the less work that will get done! While in the future, I am sure to run into people who are not willing to cooperate, I know I will be able to. I will also know how to handle those who are not cooperative from those experiences that made you want to pull your hair out.

3. Decision making

I am probably the most indecisive person you will meet. I still am very indecisive. What I mean by this is, if you were to ask me what I want to eat for dinner there is a 99.99% chance I will tell you "I don't know." However, I have learned to make decisions that I know I need to make. When I am at work now, and in the future, and I need to decide something and think fast, I know I am capable of doing it. I learned this from being put in scenarios at work where I need to think on my toes and it is usually a good outcome for me. These kinds of decisions I can make because I know I have to, yet another skill acquired from my part-time job.

4. Time management and organization

To this day, I pride myself on my time management and organizational skills. Don't get me wrong, I can be messy, but in an organized fashion. I always know where everything is in a mess I have created. However, when it comes to work and school, I stay on top of organization and time management. With going to school and working, time management is key. I have learned to prioritize and get done what I need to get done in a timely manner.

5. Socialization

I have learned to work with people and talk to people. I have learned to become relatable to people who I would think I would not have anything in common with. I learned to talk to people, and come out of my shell. I used to be very shy before I started this job, but after talking to complete strangers, you learn to get over your shyness.