10 Lessons Every Athlete Has Learned

10 Lessons Every Athlete Has Learned

Whether on the court or on the field, you've learned these hard lessons.

18
10 Lessons Every Athlete Has Learned
Stacy Rohan

The world of athletics is a world of its own. When I was four-years-old I joined my first little league soccer team, and I’ve been discovering the beauty of sports ever since. The variety of sports in our world today provide pretty much anyone the opportunity to find one suitable to their liking. While sports aren’t for everybody, they’re definitely for me so I’m writing to the other sports-lovers out there. Take a gander, and I guarantee you’ll relate to some, if not all, of these lessons learned: athletes edition.

1. After a rough day at school or work, the best therapy is relieving frustration through physical exertion on the field or court.

Humans naturally desire an escape from the stress of everyday responsibilities and physical activity is the best answer. Exercise improves the condition of both the body and the mind. 10 minutes into a competition or run, and the world is silent.

2. Goal-setting is essential, and self-motivation is the pathway to fulfillment.

Setting tangible goals benefits people in general, but goal-setting in athletics helps measure success in a way you can see and experience. The best way to reach this point of success is intrinsic motivation. Learn to ignite your own fire.

3. Leading by example is the best way to lead.

Growing up, my mother always told me, “Do as I say not as I do.” To put it simply - this expression drives me bonkers. Most us can’t help but respond to most things in a “Monkey see, monkey do” sort of manner. Your teammates are monkeys and they’ll do what they see. Perform well in terms of effort and respect.

4. Selfish players don’t win games; selfish teams don’t win championships.

John Wooden, a man referred to as the greatest coach of all time, once said, “happiness begins where selfishness ends.” The best teams are those with many great players who work humbly and collectively, not those with one great player who cares only about his/her own stats.

5. Discipline will get you further than reassurance of bad habits.

Criticism, even when constructive, is hard to take. We’re defensive people, but letting that pride go and allowing correction and discipline to make us better will show far better results than continuing to make poor decisions, on or off the field.

6. There are a thousand ways to be a good teammate from the bench.

Sitting on the bench too often comes with doubt and discouragement. Failing to encourage and support your teammates in those times is a failure to do your duty as a player. Be a servant, wherever, however.

7. You’re going to mess up, but if you learn from the loss it’s no longer a loss.

You’ve heard it a hundred times: learn from your mistakes. If you lose a game or do poorly in practice, determine what went wrong and do everything in your power to keep it from happening again.

8. It’s OK to take off-days (but not too many).

When you work, work hard, but give yourself a break when you’ve earned it. You’re only doing the best you can. (Unless you’re not, in which case, work harder.)

9. Skill without heart is simply wasted talent.

If presented with an extremely talented player with awful character and a semi-talented player with the heart of a champion, I’d choose the semi-talented player without question. You can coach skill. You can’t coach character.

10. Your team is your family.

In the end, they matter more than the game ever will. Point blank.