Lessons I Learned As A 20-Year-Old Elementary School Student

How my volunteer experiences this semester improved my outlook on life.

61

Growing up, I was extremely fortunate to have received the education and schooling that I did; as I get older, I continue to realize this more and more. My years in elementary school were among the best, and I carry only the most positive, happy, and meaningful memories from kindergarten through fifth grade with me at all times. Middle school and high school were great, and I enjoyed them at the time, don't get me wrong, but there is something magical about the early years of elementary school and the innocent, carefree attitudes and laughter that young students exhibit, incomparable to others.

When I first found out I had to take a semester off of college due to health reasons, I was devastated. It was particularly hard watching all of my friends either head back to their respective schools or abroad to a multitude of different locations around the world. Mostly, I was heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to spend my much anticipated semester abroad in Cape Town, South Africa, learning, exploring, and eating my way through a new city that is said to be beautiful and one of the greatest places in the world. Earlier this fall, I didn't have many plans or activities to keep me busy, as I mainly was just focusing on having a smooth recovery after the surgery I received in September and gaining my strength and full health back after many months of confusion and abnormality. One day, probably in early October, my mom and I decided to go for a walk; we walked right past my old elementary school.

As I graduated from fifth grade in 2007, there aren't many teachers left at my former school that I know, besides a few. Many of mine have retired and moved on as years have passed, which is to be expected. The only one of my former teachers who still teaches, although it is her last year this year, is my kindergarten teacher, one of the most magnificent, kind people I know. She saw me and my mom walking past the school that one fateful day, and she rushed outside to usher us in. Everyone who knows me knows I'm extremely emotional, and going inside my elementary school always makes me cry (happy tears), to the point where now it's honestly pretty weird/embarrassing. Seeing her and catching up with her after all these years was so powerful, and she knew about the recent developments in my life, which made it all the more emotional reunion. I'm always talking about the positive memories I have from growing up and attending school, so she told me I could come help out in her class any time. I had never thought about doing this, and I never planned on being a teacher; however, this enticed me. I love stepping foot in my former elementary school, as I mentioned before, I love kids, and I love my kindergarten teacher. I also was looking for things to do, so this seemed like the perfect gig. I'm so thankful for that day, when my mom and I took a stroll by the school, because had we not I wouldn't have had or thought of the opportunity to volunteer at the school, in the classroom of my old kindergarten teacher as well as in the second grade classroom of another teacher who I am close with, the sister of one of my friends from high school.

While I thoroughly enjoyed spending time getting to know and helping the students in second grade, in addition to kindergarten, there was something magical about helping out in the classroom of one of my former teachers, actually my first teacher who initially got me excited to learn and curious about the world. Observing her teaching styles every time I am in attendance, I am amazed at the creativity and passion she exudes when instructing the students and brainstorming lesson plans. Each day, the students take part in different activities and lessons that challenge and motivate them, and witnessing these young learners interact with each other while learning for the first time in a school setting is fascinating and so special, an experience I am so grateful to have had.

My time in the kindergarten classroom has reminded me that many lessons we learn as young students are lessons that should be carried and remembered for the rest of our lives. For example, you don't always have to be the best performer of an activity or receive the top score in the class, but as long as you try your best that is what really matters. The kindergarten students are taught to embrace failure and mistakes because they are a way to learn. They're told not to insult others or judge them for being different and to never put others down, no matter what. Interrupting someone when they're talking or not listening to people talk, when they're talking to you, is never okay, no matter how old you get.

Additionally, I am amazed at how kind the students are to each other, and they are always willing to help each other out when they're in a crisis. They're taught how to have engaging, open-minded body language and attitudes and to be respectful and mindful of the person who is speaking at the moment. There is never a day when I am not greeted by either a "Good Morning Miss Shelly," and it scares me how rare proper greetings are nowadays. These students, both second grade and kindergarten, and the two teachers I work with, teach me more about life and happiness each day than I ever thought possible, and my time helping out in the classroom has made my semester home worthwhile. The same goes for the second grade students who I have been so lucky to get to know; it is amazing to me how much children grow and learn in two years, and it's so powerful watching my friend's sister, only three years older than me, teach an excited group of students every day and bring positive change into their lives.

My volunteer experience has been so meaningful to me and really allows me to come full circle with the school that I started off my education with. I'm so lucky to have had the experiences and memories that I do, and I look forward to seeing how these children grow up and who they become over the years. I am truly passionate about enhancing our education system and ensuring all students, no matter where they are from, have access to the same unforgettable and positive opportunities that I did growing up. Education is one of the most important policies that deserves the utmost attention. The younger generations are the ones that are going to help change the world for the better, and we need to make sure everyone has access to a good education and resources that help them succeed. I believe in everything happening for a reason, and I know I had this experience for a reason; I'm excited to find out what it is in the future.