21 Things I've Learned By 21

21 Things I've Learned By 21

First, focus on yourself.

104
21 Things I've Learned By 21
flickr.com

Since I am nearly 22, I thought I would reflect on a few things I've learned this year of being 21.

1. You cannot make everyone happy

If you let the fact that some people may not agree with what you do or that some people are just plain cruel. You have to put yourself first and do what makes you happy!

2. Keep good friends close

This is one of the more difficult ones to learn. You do not need a ton of fake friends to be happy. Have a few close, loyal ones that you know have your best interest at heart.

3. Take your time, don't rush

We are all excited to get older and experience new things but enjoy the ride along the way. Everything will happen when it's supposed to.

4. Me time

Take a break from life every once in a while. Focus on yourself and take a day to do just that.

5. Focus on your dreams

This is your time to decide what you want to do in life. If that means changing your major, going on a trip or whatever else it may be. This is the time to go do it.

6. Put school first

You don't need to break your back trying to do too much, take the time to focus on your grades and do better.

7. Go on a trip

Don't let yourself go stir crazy, even if it is only an hour away make time to go somewhere and get out of this town.

8. Actually, sleep no matter what's going on the next day

We all cram, write papers, and everything else in all hours of the night. GO TO BED! It's not healthy to get very little sleep.

9. Just Breathe

When days are becoming too much, just sit down and take a deep breath. Remind yourself everything will be okay.

10. Be Spontaneous

If you have something you want to do or buy, one time just do it. Don't sit there and debate whether you should or not just do it.

11. Remove what doesn't make you happy

You're getting older. You don't need to force yourself to do things that don't add to your happiness. Remove what doesn't benefit your life.

12. Don't dwell on what you can't control

For instance, I won't be graduating in 4 years, I cannot control that so there is no point in getting worked up about it!

13. Go visit your friends

If you have a friend that goes to another school, go see them. You'll regret not taking the time to catch up and get immersed in their college experience for a little while.

14. Kick stress to the curb

Obviously, it is hard to completely get rid of stress. But try not to let it debilitate you. No matter what is going on behind closed doors, try to enjoy everyday one step at a time.

15. Go on a date

Screw the Netflix and chill crap, actually go out. Get dressed up, look nice and have a good night.

16. Try a new bar/ restaurant

I personally get stuck only trying what I know. Try and make it a goal to try somewhere new every month. Otherwise, you may never know what food or drinks you may like.

17. Be active

Don't get in the rut of sitting at home doing homework, or binge-watching your favorite show. Get out there and go for a walk, dancing, or whatever else just be active.

18. Go to the gym

Stop the “I'm too tired” excuse. Just go-- you'll thank yourself later.

19. Fall in love

Open your heart and give love a chance. You never know who will make your year of being 21 the best (;

20. Put your phone away

Stop trying to document everything for social media. Just go out and experience life.

21. Choose YOU

Stop putting others first and trying to please everyone else. You are important and your happiness is what is the first priority.

These are just a few things I've learned while being 21. I cannot wait to see what being 22 teaches me.