Lessons From An Older Sister

Lessons From An Older Sister

You're never truly prepared for what you'll learn.

25
Lessons From An Older Sister
Lifehack Quotes

When being told you are gonna be an older sibling you never really consider the work that comes with it. You don't notice it but little by little you not only pick things up from them, But your siblings pick things up from you. There are many perks but also many down falls. These are just some of the many things being the older sister has taught me.

1. How to laugh.

Not just at your siblings but at yourself. It doesn't matter what you are doing sometimes all you really need is to laugh to lower your stress level or just to ease the tension that may rise during an awkward encounter.

2. You take the blame for EVERYTHING.

It doesn't matter if you were the one who did it or not you can and will take the blame because you should've stopped them and you knew better. It doesn't matter whether or not you forewarned your siblings or not. If they are in trouble, you are in trouble because you are supposed to always magically show up and keep them out of trouble.

3. How to be over protective.

This is one you'll struggle with once your little siblings start to date or go into high school. That is truly when you become a older sibling because by that point you start to see them in a grown up light and want nothing more than to hug them and keep them little forever.

4. How to deal with heartbreak.

If there is anything I have learned from being an older sister it's that life goes on and sometimes you can't help the heartbreak that comes with missing accomplishments of your siblings or realizing that watching their heartbreak after a major breakup will also break your heart.

5. How to hold a grudge.

If there was ever anything your siblings taught you it was that sometimes your best weapon is the ability to hold a grudge for great lengths of time because if all else fails at-least you still have your grudge from the time they broke your favorite movie in the second grade.

6. How to forgive.

If there was ever one thing to remember it would be that whether you like it or not your siblings just want to make you proud and sometimes they make you mad and all you can do is forgive them and help them learn.

7. Passion.

If there was ever a thing I learned from my younger brother it would be that you should never start something if your heart isn't 100% in it. I have seen the amount of passion and dedication my brother has for not only playing football but also for wrestling.

8.It's OK for them to hate you.

If you are anything like me you never want to upset your siblings but sometimes you have to bring down the hammer on them and scold them for being wrong whether they hate you for it or not. At the end of the day they'll get over it and move on after realizing you are just trying to help them develop into respectable adults.

9. Sometimes you have to be the parent.

Sometimes both your parents and your sibling will be so heated and into the moment of arguing that you'll have to step in and tell them both when to walk away and cool down. Then you get to explain to your parents that as much as you love them they were just as wrong as your sibling.

10. Unconditional love.

If there was ever something you learn it would be that no matter where you go or what you do. You will forever have a support system in your siblings to help you when you are down or just having someone to vent to. They love you not matter your looks or intelligence.