Owning A Kitty Is Nothing Like Owning A Goldfish

Lessons from my kitten.

8
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/lessons-from-my-kitten

Recently, I adopted a kitten — and I have never had a pet before, unless you count goldfish, which I do not. It has been different from a goldfish because cats actually do more than them and require more attention. These are a few things I learned in my short time of being a pet owner.

1. He likes to play — a lot.

Even when you are tired or thought you made it clear okay time is over. He continues to play because he is still hyped from the play session. Meaning he can — and will — jump in your face, claws out, in a playful manner. If he sees that you are done playing with him, he will begin to play with himself — jumping and chasing anything he can.

2. He walks around like the man of the house.

He will walk past you like he is the man. No matter what he just did — even if he just destroyed part of the whole house. He gets more affection if you play with him or give him food, but he knows he is important to the family. Even from the first moment, he walked in the house and was comfortable and found his own place to lie down.

3. He takes a lot of naps.

He could sleep through a bomb but if you walk past him as he is napping he will give you the “what are you doing right now” eyes which could make you question your reason for walking past him in the first point. He will sleep anywhere — even though he has two beds. He will sleep on the couch, the kitchen chairs, the counter, the coffee table, or your legs. Anywhere that is comfortable at all.

4. Do not mess with his food.

If he is hungry, he will let you know. Even if you think it is not possible for him to be hungry — he is. He will make sure to lead you to his bowl like, “Girl you know damn well that that little bit of food did not do anything for me.”

5. He is a picky eater

He will not eat just anything. He knows what his likes and dislikes and won't eat just anything. Since the day he came home he just had a fixed taste and there is nothing that anyone could do to change that or make him finish anything he does not like to eat.

6. Nothing can hold him back

When I first got him, he had recently had a surgery, therefore, he had to wear a cone. With or without the cone on, he would do anything he wanted, such as going beneath a bed where the space was far too small — but he would make that space work for him and leave you wondering how he even got under the bed in the first place.