4 Life Lessons I Learned From 4 Days Of Carrie Underwood

Life as told by and all-American girl

210

I tend to be very specific about the music I want to listen to. I'm rarely the person to say "whatever you want" when someone asks me what music I want to listen to. I tend to have unhealthy habits when it comes to jamming, i.e. I will listen to the same song for 45 minutes straight if I really like it.

I'd say it's a problem, but I regret nothing. I always have a vibe I'm looking for, and, if I listen to music that doesn't fit that vibe, I get pretty grumpy. I shift between musicals, dad music, country, pop, and everything in between (except metal, no thanks).

I recently got into "Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Moment of 1812" and "Hamilton", so that's taking a majority of my music time, but that's beside the point. I recently got really into Carrie Underwood's "Champion" (I would 10/10 recommend it), and that reminded me of my love for Carrie since the beginning.

I went on Spotify and made a playlist of EVERY Carrie Underwood song then proceeded to listen to nothing else for the next four days. Let me tell you, it was a trip, and I feel like I learned a lot about life from this experience. Let me now impart some of the knowledge that Carrie gave to me.

1. Men can, and will, break your heart.

We are all familiar, I'm assuming, with Carrie's ultimate bop "Before He Cheats," which shows one side of men being the absolute worst, but let's not forget songs like "Someday When I Stop Loving You" which low-key takes out your heart and stomps on it. Whether you're listening to angry songs, like "Songs Like This," or more powerful songs, like "Unapologize," broken hearts are a given in life it seems. It stinks, but it's bound to happen. It seems impossible, but we will move on in our own ways in our own time.

2. If you do a woman wrong, you're done for.

"Blown Away," "Two Black Cadillacs," and "Dirty Laundry" are all some wicked nice revenge stories of women who have been wronged. I would never dream of messing with any woman, especially Carrie Underwood, but let this serve as a warning to anyone who ever may. Rip.

3. It's okay to cry.

Look at "Just a Dream," "Temporary Home," and "See You Again." They will all tear you to shreds, but that's fine. Sometimes life doesn't deal you the best cards, and you're left floundering with how to handle it. There are times when you find out that the best thing to do is just let it all out, and cry.

4. No matter what, remember what matters.

In "Jesus Take The Wheel" and "So Small," we can reevaluate our lives and realize what is most important to us. It is in our most dire moments that we realize what matters to us most. We should never take for granted those nearest and dearest to us, and it is through our struggles that we become who we are.