How To Not Be Filled With Regret When A Loved One Passes
Life Stages

Is there a possible way to avoid regret?

77

Let me start off by saying this: there is no way to not be filled with regret after a loved one passes. No matter whether you have spoken to them every day or maybe once in a few weeks after they are gone, you think of all the possibilities of where you could have done more for them.

I still live with regret after my grandmother has passed in 2015 and it's four years later.

My feelings towards her passing are still as relevant as they were back then. I spoke to her many times, we wrote letters back and forth, I tried to enjoy life with her while she was still here. Towards the end, I knew it was coming but still thought a miracle could happen.

The second I walked into my house from school after taking the PSAT, I was given the news. I sat down in my kitchen, tears rolling down my cheeks, and my mind started racing. Me, telling myself repeatedly, "You could have done more."

I sat there for a while, thinking about all the situations where I could have seen her more, or talked her more, even if was just over the phone. I became very hard on myself, and that didn't already help the situation of losing someone.

It's inevitable to become sad when you lose someone you love and know they are not replaceable, but you can't blame yourself for what you didn't do. You have to remember everything you DID DO.

It's easier to see the negative in things, but if you are always looking for the negatives, you will become depressed. Of course, you will most likely be full of some type of regret, but don't let it consume you. Think of the happy times you two have had.

That person would have appreciated anything from you, even if it was just seeing a smile on your face.