Legends Will Always Be Remembered

Legends Will Always Be Remembered

Rest in Peace Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher

203
Legends Will Always Be Remembered
US Weekly

2016 has been the year for which numerous celebrities have passed away. I was deeply saddened when Charmain Carr (The Sound of Music), Gene Wilder, David Bowie, and many more passed away unexpectedly this year. Yet, the saddest celebrity deaths were saved for the end of December when America's original Sweetheart, Debbie Reynolds, passed away the day after her daughter Carrie Fisher.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/celebri...

I grew up with Star Wars always on in my house, so the news that Carrie Fisher passed away on December 27 was depressing. I also grew up watching musicals, such as Singin' in The Rain, The Tender Trap, The Mating Game (not actually a musical but I loved it as a kid) and The Unsinkable Molly Brown, so the news that Debbie Reynolds suffered a stroke the day after her daughter passed was devastating. They were so close that seeing them pass a day within each other leaves an impact for all the people they have influence and loved. Yet, now its important to pray for their family who just lost two talented and wonderful people whose legacy's will continue.

Many, including myself, knew Debbie Reynolds from the Halloween Town movies on The Disney Channel. Yet, I began to admire Debbie Reynolds after seeing the musical Singin' in the Rain. I realized I wanted to dance because of Singin' in the Rain due to all the dance numbers throughout the movie. The thing was, however, Debbie Reynolds was not a dancer prior to her time filming the movie. She had to work hard to learn how to dance with the instruction of Gene Kelly, who was not only the lead in the movie, but was also a director with Stanley Donen. Gene Kelly was a huge star in the golden age of musicals and MGM, and he was known to be a protectionist dancer, and he was not easy to work with. He did not want Debbie Reynolds to play his love interest due to her lack of professional dancing skills, but he took over and became her teacher. He was hard, and often harsh, to her, but she never gave up. In the movie, she makes dancing look so easy with a bright smile on her face, making one forget all the struggles she dealt with while making the picture. Also, in the song Good Morning, her feet were bleeding by the end of the dance number, which is something that can happen when dancing between the great Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor while wearing heals.

I also admire Carrie Fisher, who many know as Princess Leia in the original Star Wars Trilogy. I know she is known for her mental illness, but honesty, I do not know much about that and I focus more on who she was as a person. I love the Princess Leia and Han Solo romance in the Star Wars Trilogy, which put Anakin and Padme' romance in the prequel series to shame.They were sarcastic and witty, which made the romantic scenes worth the wait. It turns out Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford did have an affair in real life during A New Hope, which was reveled recently. Her character was also independent and a good role model for young girls to look up to as she fought against "The Dark Side". Other than Star Wars, she did make her film debut in the movie Shampoo in 1975, and its interesting to see how she has evolved since then. Just like her mother, Carrie was beautiful, funny, and extremely talented, and it is sad that at 60 years old she is no longer with us.

But even in death, they will be with us as time goes by. Both have a legacy that will never go away, and they will continue to be admired by generations to come.

And just a few more videos...