Twins Separating before college

A Letter To My Twin Before Separating For College

A "see you later" as we step onto different stages this fall.

365
Phoebe Velez

Hey, sis.

It's time. After 18 years (and change) together, we're going off in different directions. It's crazy to think about, speaking that we've never been apart for longer than a few days, but we'll be just fine. Here are a few pointers:

1. You're probably scared, and so am I.

I've spent months convincing you that I'm completely unphased, but I'd be a fool to actually believe such a thing. For God's sake - we're identical twins. We've spent our whole lives side-by-side, and the idea of going to a new school without you is pretty nerve-racking (to say the very least). But I have no doubt that this will make our bond even stronger.

2. Be PROUD.

This is your dream school, and you worked your ass off to get where you are. I know for a fact that you will take the world by storm at your new school, and the best is yet to come for you. For us. Be proud of yourself for getting where you are, but just know you will never be prouder of yourself than I am of you.

3. Be YOURSELF.

You are the strongest and most unique person I've ever known, and you probably always will be. You are never afraid to speak your mind, and I hope that quality never goes away. There have been a lot of toxic people who have tried time and time again to dull your sparkle, and I am so happy that you never let that happen.

You are spunky, persistent, beautiful, and so much more... there will be plenty more idiots that will attempt to water you down; keep that resilience with you always.

4. Thank you.

You've prepared me more for college than anyone. You've kept me motivated to work hard. You've helped me know my worth. You've taught me to be nice, but not too nice, and in doing so you've shown me that people can only bring me down if I let them.

I've spent my whole life with a roommate - we've clashed, we've bickered about everything under the sun, we've raised hell together... but at the end of the day, we were (and ARE) always there for one another. Thank you for making me the person I am today.

And with that, I bid you adieu... for now.

See ya later, sis. Break a leg! Thank you for everything... now go kick some ass.