Leaving Freshman Year Behind

Leaving Freshman Year Behind

even though I don't want to

47
Leaving Freshman Year Behind

As I pack my life back into plastic bins and suitcases, I can’t help but reflect on the past year, my first year at college. It feels as if just last week I was picking out my bedspread and wall décor for the perfect dorm room. Now, as I pull the pins out of the wall and see my pictures fall to the ground, leaving my walls bare, I can’t understand how these past six months at school went by so fast. Moving here earlier this year, and even months into my first semester, I never imagined being sad to leave my cramped dorm and mediocre dining hall food. But now, the thought brings a lump to my throat and I feel myself overwhelmed with denial and procrastination every time I try to pack. It feels as if I’m being ripped from my home. I’m leaving behind my best friends, best memories and unforgettable nights. And a wave of nostalgia reminds me in three short years I’ll be packing for the last time.

Though I’m excited for a beach filled summer with my best friends at home and I know next year at school is only going to get better, I don’t want to leave this chapter behind. This is the last time I’ll ever get to be a freshman and the experience went by in a flash. The though scares me, I don’t want my college as a whole to go by as fast as this first year did.

On top of that, I can’t imagine a day without the wind from the Hudson blowing my hair into my face and mouth. I can’t imagine a day without the beautiful river serving as a backdrop wherever I go, or a night without a hug from Joe the cab driver before I get in his cab. I can’t imagine going to my gym at home, where it isn’t my school gym and I don’t run into my college friends. I’m not looking forward to driving over two hours to see my friends who, at school, are mere seconds away. I can’t imagine a day without alfredo marinara pasta and warm breadsticks. And I never thought I would miss the dining hall. I can’t imagine a day not spent at the library with the view of the river distracting me.

As happy as I am for finals to be over and to go home to my own, much more comfortable, bed, I don’t want to leave freshman year behind. Freshman year of college was the greatest growing experience I’ve ever had and now that it’s over, I’m afraid I took it for granted. So for all of those who are looking forward to starting your freshman year, don’t rush, it’ll be over before you know it.