Leaving a 9-5
Life Stages

The Perks Of Leaving A 9-5 To Try And Make A Living

I want to do more than just get by.

157

Last Friday, June 22nd, was my last day at a job I had for just shy of two years.

It was my first full time position in my field of study and over the course of my time there, I grew - both personally and professionally. I hold a Bachelor's in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and Advertising, so when the local newspaper posted a position for an Advertising Sales Assistant, I jumped at it. I was hired on the spot.

The position quickly grew to a culmination of various tasks: organizing files, being a mediator between sales and finance, creating marketing material, presentations, trafficking online ads, and a litany of other responsibilities. It taught me how to efficiently multitask, how to communicate effectively, and how to stick to strict deadlines.

While the position kept me busy, and I wouldn't change the experiences I garnered for anything, the potential for growth and compensation was limited. So, after nearly two years with the company, I decided to make a change.

My former position was set hours, Monday-Friday from 8-5. I will freely and openly admit that 8 AM was a loose term. I usually didn't get to the office until around 8:30, and would normally leave right at 5.

My new schedule is VERY different. Instead of one full-time position, I took two part time gigs which both have a strong potential for upward mobility. The first is the Head Cashier for a major retail chain. It's the first managerial position I'll be holding which makes me equal parts excited and terrified. Excited for the resume booster and the training on how to effectively lead others, and terrified because I'm a people pleaser and I know there will be times when people aren't going to like me. But, I'm optimistic at this opportunity, even though it will be a change to go back to working nights and weekends.

The second, is going back to my roots. In college I interned at a local radio station, where I remained for a year and a half. I'll be working as a Reporter, writing newscasts, covering events, writing blogs, and just generally doing fun Reporter duties that make me think “I actually get paid to do this?" The hours will be sparatic, but will generally be between 8 and 4 Monday-Friday.

I'll be the first to admit that change is hard for me. I'm easily adaptable, but when I've operated a certain way for awhile and then suddenly that gets turned on it's head, it takes me a few days to get used to it. So the biggest thing for me as I make this career change is the uncertainty of my schedule. I went from knowing exactly what my days, weeks, and months looked like, to only knowing a week or two in advance. It's a change I know I'll adapt to, but it's still a change.

What helps when I face an uncertainty in my life is looking at the positives in my situation. Like right now, it's 4:38 on a Monday, and I've been done with my job at the radio station for a little over an hour. I got gas, drove to a coffee shop, and am currently sitting outside with my feet up on a chair writing my article for the week before I head to the store to work a closing shift. While my work day is a long one today - about 13 hours with drive time - I have up to two and a half hours to do as I wish. I also have the ability to cut that short and head into the store early, which I'll most likely end up doing.

Sleeping in is also one of my favorite things in the world, and both Thursday and Friday this week I get to do just that. So while my schedule can be uncertain, I'm not trapped in the rigidness of a 9-5.

Overall, I'm really happy with my decision to move on from my old position and am excitedly looking toward the possibilities my future holds.