Learned To Walk Away And Do What Makes You Happy

The Biggest Life Lesson I Have Learned Is To Walk Away And Do What Makes You Happy

Some things in life are there for a reason and others only for a season.

54

In life, we are often pressured to be perfect and to do things that would help further our success, even if those things do not make us happy any longer. No matter what the negative thing in your life is, you should know that you have the right to walk away if you are no longer happy with the situation.

All my life, I've had trouble saying no to new opportunities. I feel bad when I let people down and don't do what they want me to do. I have always felt like I owed everyone an explanation for why I do things and for why I choose not to do things. I've felt disappointed in myself if I feel the need to quit something. I always have pushed myself to keep doing the thing I don't enjoy so that I wouldn't be a quitter. But this week I have realized that I was wrong for thinking like that.

I had been a part of an organization for years and years. Lately, I started feeling detached from the organization because of the environment. I dedicated countless hours to the organization and in the end, I felt absolutely no fulfillment. There was constant drama around me that I wanted no part in, and there were people who were always belittling others. I questioned whether or not I should continue on during my future time in college, and at first, I felt bad for even questioning this, since I had been doing it for so long, and felt like I belonged there for so long.

After a very rough week, I realized that all the stress, anxiety, and sadness the organization was adding to my life was taking a toll on me and that continuing to be part of it was not worth it. I decided for myself that I would branch out and try new things. I allowed it to be such a large part of my identity for so long that I truly lost sight of myself and of what I wanted.

The truth of the matter is that things change all the time, people change, and environments change and you may have no control over it. When things change for the worse, you are allowed to walk away. You are allowed to change your atmosphere and drop all the unnecessary stressors in your life.

It took me a long time to realize that not being a part of this organization would not make me a quitter. It would make me someone who cares about herself and her happiness. I decided to leave and I have felt a lot of peace since then.