Learning How to Accept Failure in 2019

Learning How to Accept Failure in 2019

Social media shows us nothing but picture perfect lives, but is that helping you get anywhere?

15
https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-holding-midnight-black-samsung-galaxy-s8-turn-on-near-macbook-pro-1092671/

We fail each and everyday, so coming to terms with our failures is inevitable. Yes, some are bigger than others, but that doesn't mean that your triumphs can't also be just as big. In 2019, it appears that everyone has finally gotten their shit together. That's what your instagram feed shows you, doesn't it? Our society has been striving for perfection for far too long. 2019 has got to be the year we finally learn to come to terms with our failures.

We don't need to be perfect in order to be happy. Perfection will always feel unattainable. Instead of striving for perfection, we should be striving for self-love and acceptance. We should be striving to feel content and happy with our lives no matter how far away from our dreams we are. It can be so easy to get wrapped up into this idea of being perfect, and social media takes a big part of the blame for that.

We spend how much of our time in a day on social media? Too much to admit. And what do we see? We see an endless feed of picture perfect lives, and it can be so incredibly easy to become fixated on trying to achieve what we think we see in those pictures. However, those pictures are just that. They are what we THINK we see. We don't actually know what that person's life is really like behind the screen. We don't know if that person is truly happy in their life. We don't know if that relationship doesn't have it's bad times too. We just don't know beyond the post.

Once you can begin to stop comparing your success, relationships, vacations, jobs, etc. with those around us, we can start to accept who we are and what we bring to the table. It's amazing the things you can do once you stop letting your own unrealistic expectations inhibit you. You become unstoppable when you don't get caught up in each "failure" you seem to face. It takes a strong person to pick themselves back up and continue on instead of letting the fear of failing again stop you.

Maybe one day the fad of instagram will die down. That day doesn't seem to be anytime soon though. Since social media will always be staring us right in the face, we need to learn how to "use" it. We need to learn to be happy of the successes of others and not jump to feelings of jealousy. We need to learn that every picture doesn't always share the full story. We need to learn that it is okay to fail and that it is okay to not be perfect.

It's 2019, perfection is SO overrated.