What We Can Learn From The Beatles 60 Years Later

As the world's top selling artist and influence of every single generation to come after them; The Beatles have a lot to teach, and we have a lot to learn.

98
http://www.santabanta.com/photos/the-beatles/10513013.htm

Whether you absolutely love The Beatles, only listen to them when your dad puts them on in the car, or never listen to them at all, we can all learn a lot from their music, even now, almost 60 years later.

The song "Revolution" is an obvious example of a sign of the times. With lyrics like, "you say you want a revolution / well, you know / we all want to change the world" and "but when you talk about destruction / don't you know that you can count me out" the meaning behind the song is pretty assertive. In the year this song was written, 1968, there was a lot of political turmoil across the world. Whether talking about the Anti-Vietnam war protests, the assassination of both Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy, or the rising tension from the cold war, the restlessness of the people is very evident. This same restlessness and tension can still be felt even today, especially in America. When The Beatles talk about their desire for change, they also talk about their desire to do it peacefully. Although there have been plenty of protests throughout the past couple of years manifesting the passion of those looking to make a difference, no one is turning to violence in order to do so. While many people are pleading for change, and standing up for what they believe in, they are also pushing for this well-known song title- revolution.

Another song written by The Beatles with political undertones that can still be related to today, and I think forevermore, is the song "Blackbird". Although the message may not be as evident as it is in Revolution, it is definitely still there. This song was released in 1968 as a symbolic way to support the civil rights movement happening in America. The lyrics, "Blackbird singing in the dead of night / take these broken wings and learn to fly / all your life / you were only waiting for this moment to arise" were meant to give hope to everyone struggling through this time period. This message can be relevant to anyone going through a hardship today, tomorrow, and even in years to come. No matter what you are going through- if you feel as if your wings are broken, if you cannot see the light through sunken eyes and the darkest of nights, you must always try to get up and set yourself free.

Although there are many more examples of Beatles songs that are still relevant today, "Revolution" and "Blackbird" are two that I find myself relating to the most. Even now, almost 60 years later, I think everyone can learn a lot from these short, three-minute songs.

What we can learn from "Revolution"-
We must always remember everyone's voice deserves to be heard, and that everyone has a right to expression and freedom of opinion. We must work together in order to achieve change, and while fighting for the things we believe in, we must do it peacefully. If revolution is something we desire, we must also desire peace.
What we can learn from "Blackbird"-
We must always remember there are going to be hardships, dark nights, and times when we feel like giving up. But we must also remember that everything in this world is temporary: the sorrow, the pain, the heartbreak. No matter what any one of us is going through, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and we will get through it all. Together.