After You've Lived A Year Alone, You Learn These 12 Truths

From killing bugs to loving yourself and everything in between.

147
New York Public Radio

Living alone off of campus during my freshman year was never my original intent. Due to unforeseen events, however, I was contractually stuck in an apartment far nicer than any single freshman could ever need and far more expensive than initially anticipated. However, I chose to make the absolute most of it: I would be that cool college freshman that had a place all to himself. In the year that I've lived alone, I've learned a lot about myself, including what I can and can't do. Without further ado, here is everything I'vve learned in the past year of living alone:

1. You CAN kill those bugs.

Even if you think you can't. They're more scared of you than you are of them (in theory). Sometimes I do the kind human thing with the napkin and the glass, gently placing them in the outside world. But I did this with a fly once and it just flew back in, so screw that. Author's note: I've actually never seen a spider in my apartment. I'm 99% sure they're ganging up and plotting a revolt, so if you don't hear from me, you can safely assume that is what happened.

2. Get yourself a pet.

This is my blue betta Lenny. He's a bit of an asshole and not much of a conversationalist, even by fish standards. However, if you get yourself a cat or a dog, you have a built-in cuddle buddy. Plus, maybe they'll kill the bugs for you. Either way, it's a win-win.

3. Human contact is SO important.

And I'm not just talking about socializing and talking with others, although that's very important as well. When you see your friends, freaking hug them. Personal physical contact is of the utmost importance. It's an innate need in humans to be able to touch, feel, caress and the like. This doesn't have to be in any sexual sense either, just in the sense that feeling and knowing that someone is there beside you is of immense comfort and value. *Hug.*

4. Every hour is no pants o'clock.

Do you want to know what you can do without pants on? The answer: everything.

5. Lock the door to your balcony, even if it's on the third floor. And then forget about it and check to see if it's locked 15 minutes later.

You never know, there could be a parkouring serial killer out there. Not out of the realm of possibility. (Just sayin'.)

6. Dishes don't wash themselves.

Saying "I'll just let them soak" is the biggest lie you'll ever tell yourself. Ever.

7. Podcasts will become your biggest friends.

Okay, maybe this is just me but podcasts can be such a great comfort. It's like you're having a conversation (albeit a very one-sided one). Just like physical human contact, it's important to feel some sort of socialization, even if you're snowed in and there's literally no one else there to talk to. Plus, you can talk about these podcasts hosts as if they're your best friends and literally no one will be any the wiser. Karen and Georgia? Yeah, we're besties.

8. OMG all the hair in your drain is yours.

Do people really shed that much hair? Better yet, do I really shed that much hair? I swear, cleaning the drain is like finding out that you've unknowingly been roomies with Cousin It this whole time.

9. It's alright to ask for help.

Honestly, this one is still a bit of a toughy for me. You'll learn that you can do a hell of a lot more than you ever thought you could. Yet, you also learn how to ask for help when it's absolutely necessary. Don't know how to sew a button? YouTube can teach you. Vertically challenged and in need of something on the top shelf? You'll be able to Spiderman your way up there. Literally just need someone to talk to? Then it's your job to ask around. AND IT'S NOT A SIGN OF WEAKNESS TO ASK FOR HELP WHEN YOU NEED IT. RATHER, IT'S A SIGN OF STRENGTH. (Louder, for the people in the back!) You can't do everything by your lonesome, but you'll probably be surprised by all that you can do that you never thought possible.

10. Fresh produce rots quicker when you buy it yourself.

Absolutely scientific fact. (At least it seems that way.)

11. You CAN be that badass bitch that sits at the bar alone and reads her book.

I always wondered how people were comfortable with going out alone -- to bars, to coffee shops, even out to see movies. But I've done all of these things. I've done homework alone at coffee shops and have made friends that way. I've seen movies alone (and there's no one there who talks or asks questions during it and it's beautiful). I've sat a bar and ordered mocktails while reading a book. I've always seen that badass lady who's comfortable enough in her own skin to make her own happiness, without the assistance of anyone. You can be that content with yourself. You. Can. Be. Her.

12. You can do far more than you ever thought possible.

You gain an amazing sense of confidence and are pushed so outside your comfort zone. You can accomplish SO much. You can make any place your home. You'll learn that there's a definite difference between being lonely and being alone. Maybe you loved living alone, maybe you absolutely detested it. Either way, you learned something about yourself that you never would have otherwise. What can start out as a scary challenge can turn into something amazingly rewarding. When my original plans to live with my then partner had fallen through, I had never been so paralyzed with fear by the promise of total freedom. Yet, in looking back, I had never before been afforded such an opportunity to grow. And I am grateful for every moment of it.