16 Lessons I'm Grateful To Have Learned During My Freshman Year

You can learn a lot in just 8 months.

262
Molly Mazeine

My first year at Villanova was quite a rollercoaster -- I had some of the best days of my life and some of the worst. College was unlike anything I had ever experienced, and even though I struggled about 99% of the time, it was worth it in the end and I wouldn't change a thing.

So now that I'm a wise-almost-college-sophomore, here are some lessons that I learned from my first year away at a university.

1. Yes, you will be homesick. But no, it won't be as bad as you think.

I remember leaving Charlotte, I felt like I would never stop missing my home. Saying goodbye to my family and friends was incredibly hard, but orientation kept me so busy and I was so excited to start this new chapter.

2. Your roommate will be your go-to support.

I'm lucky enough to be best friends with my roomie, but I know not everyone had that blessing. That doesn't mean that they aren't always there for you, though! Your roommate is your built in friend who is going through the exact same things that you are -- the best therapy is lying in bed at night and comparing/venting about your days.

3. You will have to learn to balance schoolwork, parties, living with friends, boys, clubs, sports games, etc....

There's always SO. MUCH. GOING. ON. It's hard to prioritize. But trust me, once you flunk that first quiz because you were with your friends instead of studying, you'll realize pretty quickly that you gotta get your life in line.

4. FOMO will be real.

Even once (or if) you get your priorities in line, and you have to pass up going out with your friends to events because of school or work, it won't be enjoyable. Snapchat stories and instagram is the worst when you see everyone out having fun.

5. The novelty of eating at the dining hall will wear off.

Let's just say that chicken and asparagus and rolls gets old after about a week.

6. Your best friends will become your extended family.

They will be there for you when you're sick, crying, hungry, depressed, homesick. They will be there for you when you're over the moon, ecstatic, celebrating, in love. They'll be more than just you're friends -- they'll be your family. You can't do college without them.

7. Your professors won't be as scary as your high school teachers make them out to be.

In high school, teachers are constantly saying, "Your professors won't put up with this in college." Well, guess what? Chances are they probably will, and you'll have an incredible bond with them.

8. Uber will be your best friend.

As a freshman, absolutely NONE of my friends had cars, the shuttle would rarely come on schedule or go where we wanted to go, and walking four miles one way didn't sound appealing. Uber saved my life.

9. Yes, you'll probably be poor.

Uber parties, clothes, food, drinks, textbooks, tuition, dues, clubs, sports events, formals, the list goes on...

10. Even if you're not a school spirit person, you'll want to get involved.

There's just something about college that makes you have so much more school spirit than you did in high school. Suddenly everything seems so exciting!

11. You will have to learn to deal with a bunch of random drunks.

Let's just say it's an interesting time. You'll bond with a lot of new people.

12. The library will be your new home.

You might even be in the library more than you are in your own dorm room. After all, it's easier to be stressed when you're surrounded by other people in the same boat.

13. Going home for breaks are a bittersweet feeling.

It's hard now because you feel like you have two homes and two families. You get see one, but leave another.

14. Exams are hell.

Twice a year you are forced to pull all-nighters, consume solely coffee, read for hours and hours, and put your knowledge to the test. Oh, it's a great time.

15. You will grow to appreciate your parents a ton more.

Being away from your mom and dad really makes you realize how wonderful they are. Having to do your own laundry and take care of yourself is a difficult task -- imagine doing it for four other children for 18 years!

16. You will probably feel incredibly lost and confused about what you want to do with your life at least once.

When you're surrounded by people who seem to have it all together with internships, declared majors and minors, letters of recommendations, and jobs, it's easy to get overwhelmed and feel so confused. Don't stress! It's okay not to know what you want to do yet.

Freshman year was insane. I loved it and I hated it. But I know that I'm not the same person that I was when I first stepped onto Villanova's campus almost a year ago, and I am so thankful for an amazing school, wonderful friends, and a fantastic family.

I can really sum it all up in two words: GO CATS!!!!