What I Learned From Alone Time

A few weekends ago, I was overjoyed to be invited to the lake by one of my best friends. It was a really fun weekend. Swimming, lots of tubing, s'mores and most importantly relaxing. It was fun, until I returned home and was in an immense amount of pain just a few nights later. Swimmers ear. For those who have not experienced swimmers' ear, it is when water is trapped in your ear canal and putting a lot of unwanted pressure on your ear drum.

After many sleepless nights of crying because I was in so much pain, a couple doctors' visits because the infection kept progressing, and low energy days in bed, I am on the uphill stretch to feeling better.

I hate being sick, not only because of the symptoms, but mostly because I am an extrovert. I thrive around people. So not feeling well enough to hang out with friends, go out at night, or go mingle in the masses killed me more than the painful ear infection.

I'm not going to lie, I moped, I felt sorry for myself, I cried more because I was drowning in silence and eardrops. But then I changed the way to look at the situation. I needed to learn how to be alone. I was great at the task of being a lone in high school, I even craved it. I dreamt of getting home from school to sit in some peace and quiet. But then I went to college and I lived with a best friend, next door to my other best friends and basically, I became dependent on constant company.

So, I made the decision that I was going to take this time alone to get well as a teaching moment. First, I online shopped. It's always a good idea. I designed the perfect apartment for me and my best friend. I made lists of things I needed to buy, places I want to travel, what I want to do on my vacation this summer. I planned a road trip to Florida. I perfected my skincare routine. I started reading a book. Not only have I started to feel better physically, but mentally I feel awakened.

This alone time taught me that I don't need to be sick to implement these things that make me happy into my life. I also learned its okay to take a step back from the world and spend some time with yourself. It's really rewarding.