What to expect during my first college semester

9 Things I Learned During My First Semester in College

Because I honestly learned more during my first semester than four years of High School..

16
https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-in-black-and-white-polo-shirt-beside-writing-board-159844/

This Fall I started my first semester at college. I went into it thinking "Oh god I really need to try my ass off to keep my grades up" and boy, I was not wrong. When I started back at the end of August, I had a completely different mindset to where I wanted to be with my future to where I am now. During my first semester I did things such as: change my major, learned to balance school and work, realized that some people will support you and others won't.. The list goes on. With all of this happening, it had me come up with 9 things that not really too many people let you know during your first semester of college. So to everyone that'll be eventually starting college in the future: Good luck!

1. There's no B.S.-ing.

Maybe in high school you got away with it, but in college? Nice try.

2. Every assignment, presentation, exam all matter towards your final goal.

They all go towards your final grade which pinpoint your route to graduation. Remember your end goal and what you want for your future while doing every assignment!

3. Everyone's here for a different reason.

Each person picks their own major and have a set course on what they want to be when they're older. It might change. Situations are different. Everyone's lives are different. We all have our own personal reasons for trying to get our own degrees.

4. And most people don't even know what they are ​actually here for.

And that's okay! You don't need to know right away. You might not even know what career you want with the major you choose. You will decide and know through time!

5. Professors care, but have better things to do rather than taking the initiative on your own personal grades.

You think your professor will tell you if you're failing on their own? Wrong! You barely even know your own grades until the middle or end of the semester. Find your professor if you have any concerns. Communicate with them. Have them know your face in a positive way. They'll appreciate the effort more than you know and it can benefit you.

6. If you want to change your major, look into what interests you about it and change it ASAP.

There's no time to waste! Go talk to someone and ask for professional opinions. Take a couple of courses even beforehand of a major you're considering if you want to be 100% sure, but definitely the sooner you get your major changed, the better. Don't waste time.

7. Everyone wants you to succeed.. Yes, everyone!

Every professor, family member, friend, and probably people you don't even know on campus.. Everyone wants you to succeed and find your own path. Everyone knows college is hard, but everyone is trying to make it easier for you in any way they can.

8. Commuting is hard, but so is also being away from your home town.

You can't win. Commuting has you driving to school everyday with the possibility of being late to class, but living on campus has you becoming homesick way too often. So just pick whatever one you would rather deal with. Both have their own pros and cons either way.

9. It goes by SUPER fast but also SUPER slow.

You're loaded with all sorts of work from different classes, counting down the days until your next vacation, but it's here before you know it. It comes quick and you're ending all those classes you swore you wouldn't miss. Then you realize you'll miss all of your classmates and even your professor that tried making it a bit more bearable for you, and it hits you like a truck. It comes creeping up a lot faster than you think. You don't really understand this one until you actually live it.

My first semester has been a hell of a ride trying to get into the routine, but it's also been a great eye opener to what college is really like. It's helped me with things that I didn't really have to do during high school such as time management, better communication skills, and even learning how to get around to multiple buildings. The change is inevitable if you'll be attending a college/university, and it's definitely worth going to experience everything there is to learn and the opportunity you'll be experiencing.