12 Things I Learned From My Cat

12 Things I Learned From My Cat

Life lessons from the most mysterious of pets.

581
12 Things I Learned From My Cat
Chloe Kisela

A cat’s normal day consists of many activities, the most obvious of which are eating and sleeping. For some people, the list stops there. “Cats don’t really do much,” they say. “I don’t like them.”

Well, I have a surprise for you! The truth is, your cats have been living secret lives all along, and have actually been up to more mischief than you could have ever expected! They also learned some lessons along the way that they’re dying to teach you. So get ready to learn not only more about your cat, but also about yourself. They have some pretty great things to tell you!

1. Naps are always a good idea.

Whether you’re happy, sad, mad or just plain tired, napping never made anything worse. Napping at least once a day is necessary.

2. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want.

Don’t hold back. If the humans didn’t feed you, go tell them about it … and if they don’t fix it, ask again!

3. Go on as many adventures as possible.

There is always sure to be something new and interesting lurking behind that closet door. Go investigate, and have some fun while you’re at it!

4. Any time is play time.

Speaking of fun, has anyone seen the catnip mouse? Take a break from the tiring task of strolling through the house all day, and go chase a toy around!

5. Test the boundaries.

Every indoor cat has snuck out of the house at some point in their lives, only to be picked up and carried inside immediately afterwards. The important thing is that you weren’t afraid!

6. Don’t beg for attention; demand it.

Walking across your human’s computer keyboard or licking their face while they sleep should do the trick.

7. Be sure to give yourself some alone time though, too.

Go into that special hiding spot of yours, relax and unwind. A long day of being petted can really wear you out.

8. Be self-reliant.

On the off-chance that the humans keep forgetting to feed you, make sure you know how to catch a mouse.

9. Know how to defend yourself.

The humans got a new dog?! Make your opinion known, and give him the biggest, baddest hiss you’ve got.

10. Stay up all night – it could be fun!

Us people will never know what they do at night until we try it with them. Go see what trouble they get themselves into when the rest of the house is asleep!

11. Don’t be afraid to change your perspective.

You don’t like a new vase the humans got? Knock it off the shelf. Something’s in your way? Push it off the table. Change is good every now and then, anyway.

12. And finally, show the world your amazing personality!

Many people misunderstand cats, thinking of them as cold, distant animals. What they don’t know is that a cat can be your best friend! And once you see how much personality there is in one little cat, there’s no going back.

So, to all my fellow cat-lovers out there, go give your kitty a treat and some well-deserved love, and see if they have anything else to teach you! Meow.