Why Origami Should Be Your New Hobby

Why Origami Should Be Your New Hobby

It's so much more than just paper folding.

1966
Why Origami Should Be Your New Hobby
sheila_sund / Flickr

Origami is one of the most ancient art forms out there, dating back to the 6th century though some scholars think it could have begun even before then. Most people think of origami as paper folding but it has many applications beyond just paper. Artists have started incorporating origami elements into fashion design and architecture and there are even applications in the fields of engineering and medicine.

If you've never considered trying out origami, here is why you should.

1. You've probably already done it

Almost everyone made paper hats or fortune tellers in elementary school, and if you know how to do that you already have some experience with origami

2. Easy to pick up

All you need is some paper and some instructions

3. Easy to learn

There are thousands of origami how-to books and videos online with step by step instructions that ensure success.

4. It's therapeutic

Many teachers are bringing origami into the classroom to help children with learning disabilities due to its benefits of encouraging concentration, following directions, decreasing anxiety and boosting confidence.

5. Instant rewards

The great thing about origami is that you get to see the reward as soon as you create a piece.

6. Not time-consuming

It can take as little as 5 minutes to learn how to create a new origami design and as you get better it will take even less time.

7. It can be a social or solo activity

Once you know a few folds you can get some friends together and teach them or you can just fold by yourself.