Learn from My Mistake

Learn from My Mistake

8
Learn from My Mistake

I have done my best to take advantage of every opportunity I can in college. I want to live up the best four years of my life and experience new and exciting things every day. Restaurants, bars, concerts, away footballs games to new towns, intimidating classes--you name it, I have tried it.

But as my senior year begins, I realize I have one very big regret; something that I would only have the opportunity to experience during my college career, an experience that remains in people’s memories for a lifetime. Even “the best few months of my life,” as many of my friends call it. My biggest regret of my time in college is that I never studied abroad.

The fact that I did not embrace the opportunity to travel and learn a new language, experience a different culture, or make completely new friends brings me remorse. The locations are endless. UGA allows you to travel to China and see the Great Wall, to Australia and Fiji to swim in the Great Coral Reef, or to France to travel from city to city exploring Europe. I think back to when I considered spending a Maymester abroad. I was torn between excitement and fear. What if I did not know anyone on the trip or what if I chose the wrong location? The reality is, you will find people that become your best friends for life and no matter where you go, you will fall in love with the city.

I asked a few people on campus about their experiences and not one person had a bad thing to say. The more stories I heard, the more my heart ached that I did not pursue the idea and complete the application in time. Instead I put off the application until I had missed the deadline. By then, the decision was made that I would not go abroad. I tell you this because I don’t want you to make the same mistake I did. Athens is an amazing town. We all have grown to call it home. But if I could have called Florence, Italy or Barcelona, Spain home, even for just a few months, I would have felt as though I had taken advantage of every opportunity college has offered me. Instead I feel regret each time a classmate or a friend talks about their “trip of a lifetime.”  Learn from my mistake and take the leap. Go abroad and you won’t regret it.

Here are some UGA Students talking about their experience abroad:

“My favorite part of my time abroad this past summer was the weekend trips that we took from Thursdays through Sundays. Being in Innsbruck gave us easy access to travel all over Europe. We visited the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, the Czech Republic, Italy, and Austria all in one summer. How many people can say that they did that?”

-Emily Younts

“Leaving Athens can be scary, but studying abroad is so worth it. It opens your eyes to other cultures besides the bubble most of us live in. I made friends from around the country and I have even flown to visit one of my friends in San Francisco recently who I have remained close friends with since the trip. I got learn in a different environment as well with more hands on experiences.”

-Rachel Hawes

“My favorite part of my trip to London was meeting so many new people. I got connections during my internship abroad that could help further my career in the future. I loved the sightseeing as well because London has so much to see. I didn’t have to worry about a language barrier either so that was very helpful!”

-Samantha Nickerson