Learn How To Be Single

Learn How To Be Single

I know people that just can't live without being in a relationship, and it's time for that craziness to end.

275

Sure, falling in love is amazing. Humans are social creatures, so it makes sense as to why we love to hype up the idea of being in love. We feel worthy and validated if we constantly have someone that makes us feel special. What I have noticed throughout my teenage and young adult years, however, is some of my peers really do not know how to function when single. They have to have a boyfriend or girlfriend constantly. Y'all need to learn how to be single!

1. Fight Loneliness Head-on 

Obviously, everyone hates feeling lonely. When you are in a relationship, it's super easy to not get lonely. You consistently have someone to talk to and provide you with attention. However, when you are single, you have more time on your hands, which may often be spent alone. On the other hand, you can also spend this time with your friends, family, or on making new acquaintances. You can give your attention to a much wider span of humans, and through this learn that you don't need a special someone to prevent you from feeling lonely (you can have many someones).

2. Explore Your Personality

I've noticed a lot of my girl friends with boyfriends find their identity in their relationships. They transform their personalities according to what their boy prefers. This is just not healthy at all! We all have unique likings and personalities, and we develop these by interacting with a large range of people, not just one romantic partner. By branching out on your own, you learn so much more about yourself than if you are constantly spending your time with just one person.

3. Learn to Love Yourself

By spending time alone, doing things you enjoy, and forming platonic relationships, you begin to truly see your worth and find that no one can take that away from you. On an airplane, they tell you to put your own oxygen mask before helping others. How are you going to love someone when you have no love for yourself? How are you going to have any love left when that person leaves? Like I said, falling in love is amazing and being in a relationship can be a perfectly healthy way to spend one's life. But if you don't know how to be single and satisfied with yourself first, the relationship is not going to be built on a strong foundation. Next time you find yourself single, meditate on that time before scrambling to find your next mate. I promise you, it's important.