Leading On A Legacy

Leading On A Legacy

I Got Accepted, Now What?

Leading On A Legacy

On September 13th, 2016 I received an email at 9:01 AM that possibly changed my life forever. I had been accepted into the University Of Iowa. To some that may seem wonderful because its a college and it means I have some where to go after COD. But to me and my family, you would have thought something huge had happened and well it kind of did. Growing up, not only was I born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa but it was in my blood to root for Iowa Hawkeyes and to dream of going there someday. Take a step into my grandparents house on my dad’s side and you will find a photo frame collage of all of his siblings and my grandma all getting their degree from the University of Iowa. Getting into Iowa was a big deal to me and my family and I finally accomplished it. Two years ago when I was a senior in high school during senior week one of the themes was college spirit wear day. Me knowing that I was going to COD, decided to spin my college wear and represent the University of Iowa anyways since it was the school I was aiming for. I posted this photo

with the caption of “Although I won't be going right away, I am proud to say that in two years I plan to attend the University Of Iowa #proudhawkeye”. Well momma, I finally made it! The day I got accepted my facebook was blowing up with "congratulations" and "Can't wait to have you leading on the legacy!". But I hadn't even accepted the acceptance, I'm still deciding! Like most people who know my love for the University of Iowa would be shocked to hear me say there’s even another option. But being a college student with their head screwed on right (and having to pay for the next two years of college) I don’t really want to have to be super in debt for the rest of my life. Is the University of Iowa my dream school? Heck yes, it’s the place i’ve seen myself at since I could remember. I am proud to say I got accepted and I hope that I can find ALOT of money in scholarships to help, but will it be where I actually end up? Who knows. There are so many factors that I have to take in before making my final decision and although Iowa is and probably always will be my favorite team and school to root for. Leading on the legacy would be great and to earn a Mass Communications degree from there would be even more amazing. But ultimately, it’s my decision. Sometimes, your dream school just doesn’t fit you financially and that’s okay. A lot of people could argue, “just pay it off later, enjoy the experience”. But I will have spent two years debt free and with a great GPA, I don’t want to risk throwing money away for just two years. I love Iowa and I love the school and I’m proud to say I actually got accepted. But I want to make sure it’s the right school for me besides just being a legacy.